Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

email hijacked [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Run ESET Online Scan

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan.

Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Please go here then click on: Posted Image

If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
All of the following instructions work with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Step 2.

Security Check
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.

Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Step 3.

Please post:

eset log
security check log

Please give me an update on how your computer is doing!

Advertisements

t_coop

t_coop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
System is running great :thumbsup: Start up appears to be faster. No automatic emails sent. Here are the logs you requested:

ESET:
C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Downloads\SpeedyComputer_v3.exe a variant of Win32/SpeedingUpMyPC application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Tom\Downloads\Facemoods.exe a variant of Win32/SweetIM.B application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Tom\Downloads\media.player.codec.pack.v3.9.6.setup.exe Win32/Toolbar.Widgi application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Tom\Downloads\VLC.exe a variant of Win32/InstallIQ application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

checkup:
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.43
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Webroot SecureAnywhere
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.62.0.1300
CCleaner
JavaFX 2.1.1
Java™ 6 Update 21
Java™ 7 Update 5
Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.268
Adobe Reader X (10.1.3)
Mozilla Firefox 13.0.1 Firefox out of Date!
Google Chrome 20.0.1132.57
Google Chrome 21.0.1180.60
Google Chrome VisualElementsManifest.xml..
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1 %
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please update FireFox.

Open FireFox.
Click on Help.
Click on About FireFox
The update will download.
When the download is complete apply update. It will shutdown FireFox, update it, and restart it.

Then give me an update on your computer again!

t_coop

t_coop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Firefox is updated. I'm surprised it was out of date. I have it set for automatic updates.

There are no problems with the computer. Everything seams to be running faster. I take it that more was removed then whatever was sending the emails.

Thank you again for your help. I'd like to make a donation to your training site. Does it accept donations?

Tom

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Thank you again for your help. I'd like to make a donation to your training site. Does it accept donations?

You can donate to the authors of some of these programs like OTL or to the site.

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Run OTL and hit the Cleanup button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

SPRING CLEAN

To manually create a new Restore Point
  • Go to Control Panel and select System
  • Select System
  • On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create

Now we can purge the infected ones
  • GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools
  • Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
  • Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:
Posted Image
Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

Keep safe :wave:

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.