Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Fails to POST... I think.

• Please log in to reply

RichieReg

RichieReg

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

System Info:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Prem. 64-bit
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel i5 760 2.8GHz Socket 1156
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" (boot drive that corrupt)
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

After working fine for near enough 1 year, my self build computer SDD corrupt and damaged the system image. I ended up having to do a complete re-install which allowed me to log in and such. I then left the machine switched off for the past week (I was at home, computer is at work).

Having returned back to work I went to switch my computer on, it does so, for about 3 seconds and then switches off.

Now I've tested a secondary PSU with no change, tested the system with 1 stick of memory, CPU and GPU attached (nothing else) with no change, now I'm struggling..

Would my next step be to test the more pricier of components with new ones? or simply send back what I suspect may at fault (under warranty)?

Cheers,

Richie

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi RichieReg

As you have tried a second PSU and got the same result it may be an overheating issue, have you checked that the CPU fan is running when you attempt to boot up.

Please provide the details of both PSUs, brand and model name or number of each.

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello phill,

The fan does start when power is applied, well infact, all fans start up (GPU, case fans, PSU) for the few seconds that it works before they all shut off, I've also gone ahead and cleaned/re-applied thermal compound to the CPU.

PSU details:

In place at moment is; Corsair HX750W modular
Also tried; Arctic Power 700W PSU

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi again and thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

You have already done what would have been my first suggestion/s but unfortunately without success.

A quick suggestion first, try removing the MBs CR2032 battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MBs default factory settings and so if it is a bad MB setting it should clear it.

If no joy try disconnecting the SSD (tuck the cables away securely) reassemble, power up and see if there is any change.

You have done a re-install of the OS, how did you do this, was it from a Windows disk.

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I've gone ahead and removed the CMOS battery and removed everything except the main required components, tested again with both PSUs and still have no change.

Yes it was from a windows disk, although during the install it came to my attention it was the wrong disk - upgrade disk rather than the disk I'd used first (would that cause issue?) and I was going to try and re-install again from OEM.. before it went loco on me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
More work involved now but before you can return any parts they need to be proven to be bad or you may end up having to pay needless shipping costs.

I would now remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component.

Other things worth checking include, check for stray screws or bared wires in case of a short circuit and check the power on switch on your case for signs of any damage.

Regarding the re-install using an upgrade disk please see http://answers.micro...fc-68b599b31bf5

RichieReg

RichieReg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, MB removed, GPU, RAM PSU and keyboard attached, but no CPU? will the system work without CPU? curious really.

If CPU is still attached, then it again fails when I short the pwr on pins.

And on the install, I've got the original disk.. but it's currently stuck in the blu-ray drive :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No the system will not work without the CPU in place.
Check the CPU and socket - any bent or missing pins.
Does the Blu-ray drive not work.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
clean the components pin connections are a good try though.
I used to use the paper rubber to clean the RAM pins, VGA pins, used the air compressor to clean the slots with dust.

reseat the CPU and check if there is any damaged capacitor(although not likely on a relatively new mobo), also small the board if there is any burnt smell.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.
www.pctestcard.co.uk

Edited by PcTestCard, 25 July 2012 - 03:11 AM.