Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Replacement for HP Pavillion a6244n PC

• Please log in to reply

musicman12

musicman12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone help or tell me!

Can my same video card I have, be replaced with a new (NVIDIA GEforce 8300GS Graphics card) card?
Without replacing a bigger power supply and video card, as suggested buy BB, Geek Squad.

I have a HP Pavilion a6244n PC, Intel core 2 Duo processor E4500 desk top, 3G, 500GB hard drive.

My monitor will not come out of sleep mode or Hibernation, when I turn on my computer my monitor goes immediately into sleep mode.
I've moved my mouse around and nothing happens.
I hit enter, and sleep mode key and nothing, monitor keep reading, going into sleep mode.

I've tried removing and reseated the memory strips and the Video Card, and none of those things worked.
Any suggestions would be helpful and welcomed.

Thank you for all help, to this problem[/size]

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: musicman12

Your MB (motherboard) http://h10025.www1.h...product=3552345 has an integrated video chip as well as the add on video card (the 8300GS) so my first suggestion is to remove the add on video card and try using the MBs integrated video chip and see if you get a display.

Some information for you, unless the facility has been disabled in the BIOS when you fit an add on video card in the MB it automatically disables the MBs integrated video chip, even if the add on video card is not working, if the MB detects it then the integrated video chip is disabled.

The stock PSUs (power supply units) that branded computers use are notoriously under powered and questionable quality and this is for no other reason than to keep costs down.

Your options will depend on the following, what do you use the computer for**, if the PSU has failed and what you are willing to spend on the computer.

** Gaming requires a more powerful video card and higher wattage PSU to support the card.