Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would not recommend buying any Linux version because it is free to anyone. Is there another system you could possibly hijack :whistling: borrow for the purpose of downloading the two programs and burning them to use?

Advertisements

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I might be able to get my niece to download and burn me a cd. I will see if she can and if so get back to you in a few days?? or so.
Again. Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem. Please don't think I was being rude with my last answer but I just think it would be silly to pay for something that is given away freely.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I didn't think you were rude and I understand. Just don't know if I can get someone to make me one, but I'll see.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. Will the system you are responding to me here not download the files?

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello
Ok got the cd made. Wondering, I p haven't put the cd in my broken computer yet. When I do, can I transfer the pictures to the same cd that has the puppy Linux file (I didnt finalize it) or do I insert a flash drive to download pictures to?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Insert the flash drive before you boot the system to Puppy or it wont be able to see the flash drive. Then transfer everything to it using the instructions on how to mount the drive.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok here goes. Thanks

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
All right
When I started my computer and started tapping the del button nothing happened. Started tapping different F buttons no bios screen or anything. Then the computer started up. The screen about checking file segments came up and at the bottom it said ckhd cancelled and the computer proceeded to start up. So it came up looked normal. I went to one of my picture files and tried to use the flash drive to transfer pictures. It didn't recognize it or something. So inserted a cd and it appeared to burn them. Haven't put it in daughters
Computer to see if it actually burned anything. Of course during all this computer would freeze ( the time so the bottom of screen would not change for minutes) and I would finally hit delete and it would update. Then I went to where I had more pictures and it pulled up tons of them , but couldn't get then to burn on cd of flash drive. Then the computer cord plug got accidentally disconnected
So started the computer back up hitting F buttons again and finally saw where bios was F12 so kept hitting that button and never would go to screen you mentioned (can't access text you mentioned as I am on iPhone and it won't let me back to that text while I'm doing this). Anyway computer started up again went to screen about checking file record segments again and now has been stuck at 36% completed for about 10 minutes. So. Don't know whether to wait it out or shut it back down.
Sorry for being so windy but wanted to explain what it did.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Giving up for the night. Froze up for over an hour so shut it down. Turned it back on and hit F2 (not F12) and went to bios setup. When I went to advanced it showed boot configuration when I went to that it showed num lock and under that was USA enable bit and fan control
At the top where advanced is if you go across screen there is one that says boot. (there is across the top: main, advanced, security, power, boot, then exit) if you go to boot under there are options: boot device priority, hard disk drives, removable devices and atapi cd-rom drives.
I didn't do anything but look. So don't know what to do next. Will wait until I hear from you.
Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
boot device priority
Sequence should be
cdrom
hard drive

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi
Well nothing transfered to my flash drive. I already had some things on flash drive so maybe there wasn't any room.
It was only a 2gb flash drive which when I looked on Internet seems that does not hold much of anything.
So, can I try this again with a larger flash drive? If so how large should I get? I have /had a lot of pictures and videos. Videos were from phone usually 30-45 seconds. I also had all of grandsons baseball videos from this year. Taken on camcorder that I then downloaded to computer. These were in another place in computer files.
Question : when I click videos to drag to flash drive even though these baseball videos weren't in same file as other videos would all videos no matter where they were in computer be in that my video icon.
Didn't work but was just wondering.
Also if you don't mind my asking. Same with pictures. I have/had pictures in a file. But when I would go to search (for pictures because I couldn't find some) it would pull up all pictures on computer even some that I guess came on computer such as flowers symbols I don't know all kind. There were probably 2000 pictures even though many were what came on computer from somewhere.
Would all pictures be in that my picture icon or just ones actually in that file.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At least a 4 gig.
Repeat the bootup sequence with the other flash drive.
Video's would depend on what program they are associated to run so the icons may be different.
The pictures I would suspect you put them in a different folder so that is where I would look.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok thank you. I'll have to go get a flash drive and try again in a bit. Sorry for all the trouble but thank you.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Another question
A couple years ago I was having computer problems. It was really slow etc. got it repaired at shop and they gave me my original hard drive sealed in plastic. Said on package: old hard drive with data intact Failure imminent. This old hard drive had a lot of the pictures on it some of which I'm trying to recover.
Wondering if trying pulu transfer doesn't work if i could get someone to install this hard drive and if it works copy some of my pictures off of it? at least then I would have all but the last few years. Found an old cd back from 2006 where I had burned/downloaded pictures off computer. So at least I have some.