Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
So sorry keep remembering things to ask.
When I was trying to transfer earlier when I was dragging the files it just showed : (my pictures) and another ( my videos). I didn't open them I just dragged the icon. Was this correct or should I have opened it first?
Bye

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could install it as a second drive in your desktop and then use Puppy to get to it much like you are using it to get to the data on the main drive now.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Bought a 16 fb. Fixing to try again. In my last text asked. Should I drag the whole folder over without opening it? Will it hurt if I try to browse around trying to find my videos downloaded from camcorder or will it mess things up

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Oops. G b. not fb

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the folder contains everything it won't hurt to drag the whole folder over.
You can browse the whole C drive using Puppy with no problem.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
How do I browse c drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have it mounted in puppy it should be as simple as click on it and either explore or open.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok. Didn't work. In my pictures it transferred 4 "sample pictures" and desktop (under type) configuration settings.
My videos: One video type Scn file but wouldn't open. It's not my video was already on computer. And desktop (same as in pictures ) configuration settings
My camcorder videos were installed with arcSoft totalmedia hd cam software so found that when looking so dragged it over thinking videos might be in it but they weren't.
Guess I'm out of luck. Thank you for help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other thing is to try and search for one specific picture that you can remember its name. That you show you where all your pics are. The same trick should work for videos also.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wonder if I could try to start computer the normal way to see if it would start up. A few days ago it started up and allowed me to look at pictures and things. That's when I tried to burn some pictures on a cd but they didn't burn. If I did what would be the original setting in bios for boot, or would this mess it up worse. Do you think if I took it to a repair shop they might be able to try and retrieve things?
You have been a tremendous help and I appreciate it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong on my end

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The bios would have to stay the same. Just don't have a disk in the cd drive and should try to boot to the hard drive then.
Another option is to hook it up as a second drive in a known working system. Access that way and copy all the stuff over that way.
A shop will not be able to doing nothing more then two options I just presented you but they will normally charge for data recovery which could get expensive depending on the shop.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
If I did that would I be able to actually see the picture while in pulu mode. Where would I enter the info (where would search be)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to the start button at the bottom left and then to search.

In Puppy Linux it is just right click on the main drive and you should get a context menu with search in it I believe.

chief74

chief74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello
Wanted to let you know that I recovered lots of pictures and my videos. I did a search like you suggested and found some pictures and where they were located. They were in my documents. So I dragged the picture file and it started downloading all kinds of things. I have all kind of files on it. Not just pictures but program files. It completed that and I found my camcorder videos and started downloading them. This went on for an hour. It finally stopped when the flash drive was full. It didn't finish downloading the videos as it was full. But at least I found them and recovered a bunch of them. I am going to go back in tomorrw and see if I can finish downloading the videos on another flash drive I bought today (8 gb). I may try with another flash drive to download JUST the pictures. I must have dragged it wrong for it to download system files too. But that's tomorrow. After that I will try to go back to see about the last part of your text about the hard drive whatever it was.
I will keep you updated. Thank you so much again for your help. I have my pictures and videos. Yea

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great news and I look forward to you getting them all saved. Once that is done then we can move on to the final resolution of replacing the hard drive.