Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NewEgg has 4 for less then $100 but forget the bottom one on the list as it is refurbished.

Advertisements

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Looked at newegg.com and saw the 4 you mentioned. The $69.99 was out of stock. The top 2: $84.99 and $124.99, basically, what is the difference? I noticed they were all 250GB. I guess that is big enought right. (As you know my old one was only 100GB. My daughter's is 320GB)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The 129 dollar one is much faster at 10,000 rpm's versus the 7200 rpm's on the other. The more expensive is also WD's top of the line except for the SSD drives.
If you can afford it that would be the one I suggest. It is a work horse model so it will be very dependable and fast.

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the information. So, if I order the hard drive will you or someone at this site be able to walk me through installation? I read on the forum that you and someone else were helping someone (lexy) install one. What else would I need to buy for install. One of the postings in that discussion mentioned having to buy a SATA data cable. Would I possibly need that or anything else. I also read somewhere about needing some sort of disk that may have come with thier computer to download something. I have read so many posts trying to figure things out, can't remember who said what.
Thanks for your help, once again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you may need a SATA cable and you will need the OS installation disk.
From there then yes I can post the full instructions on how to do a clean install of your OS. When installation is done you will have to download and update your drivers plus get any Windows updates from Microsoft. Once that is all done then you only have to install your programs and you are then ready to go.

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Don't think I have an OS installation disk. How/where would I get one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could simply borrow one from a friend but it has to be the same that was originally installed on your system.
Since it is a desktop system there should be a sticker on the side, back or sometimes inside the case that gives you the original OS and serial number.

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Is this a disk that would have come with my computer when I bought it? I usually don't throw things about like that, but would have to try to see where it is if I still have it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doubtful being a branded system it would have had a recovery partition on the hard drive to restore the system back to factory settings. Since the hard drive is bad then the partition cannot help. One option is to contact the system manufacturer and maybe purchasing a set of recovery disks which would include the OS, drivers and all application installed from the factory when the system was new. Normal cost of these is usually $30 for the set. :thumbsup:
A lot cheaper then having to purchase a new OS disk at $100 or more.

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok thank you for all the information. When I get set to start the installation, or if I need something before that, I'll let you know.
Have a great day.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I look forward to your return. :thumbsup:

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Oh my gosh, back so soon. Looked up SATA cables on internet and there are tons of them listed. Sorry, but again I need to you point me in the right direction. Which one do I need?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This one HERE will be just fine. :thumbsup:

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Had another quick thought. Since I have my orginal hard drive (the one the computer shop gave me back when I had problems)would it have the OS and all that info on it? They said all info intact but would probably fail soon. Just wondering.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and you may be able to try a recovery and have it install on the new drive but you would have to set it up as a second drive to do that.