Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok Thanks. Think I'll first check with Emachines and see if they could get me the OS items and how much it would cost. Then instead of ordering them just hold off until I get the new hard drive and SATA cable. Then see if I could recover the info off the "old original" hard drive and if not then I know I can order the OS things from manufacturer.
That's all for now, I hope and thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome :thumbsup:

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, I am finally back. Ok, I ordered a hard drive from Emachines and have the operating system disk. The only problem is the hard drive has a different connection to plug things in. It is a Western Digital WD2500 Caviar SE EIDE 250 GB Hard Drive. Instead of the Serial ATA connection that the old one had, it has slots for a IDE ribbon connection. Inside my tower I have a IDE ribbon that has a 40 port/point connection but both ends are connected to something else. In the middle of it is another connector (40 point) with what I would call female slots and the back of the new hard drive is like male type slots/points. It will not connect this way to the hard drive. (not enough room on the ribbon to move it) I called the person back that I had ordered it from and he told me I needed a IDE connector for my hard drive. I called several places and they didn't have any in stock, so I called him back and he said he would send me one and never has and it has been 2 weeks now. I have tried calling back and now that number is temporarily disconnected. I called another Emachine number and they have no information about anything I ordered. So seems like I am stuck. Question: is there such a thing as a connector/converter so I can connect this hard drive? ( I took the old hard drive out and installed the new one with no problem)
Any help you can give me I will appreciate.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get a picture of the back of the drive you are describing?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I cannot understand what has happened here with your order from EMachines

The drive that was in your computer on which you ran the WD diagnostics was this

Western Digital WD1600AAJS-07PSA0 160GB SATA Hard Drive with DCM CodeHANNHT2EAN

as you can clearly see a SATA drive

If the other drive which you say you were given back, when it was replaced, was the original drive and also a SATA interface, then clearly Emachines have sent you the wrong HDD, and as you will have paid, more than you needed to, I would suspect, for a HDD from Emachines, I would not trouble yourself with trying to connect to the IDE header.

I suspect your optical drives are on there.

It is a shame you have opened the packaging, but I would still ask Emachines WHY they have sent a HDD with IDE or PATA interface, when the computer was originally supplied with a SATA HDD

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
How would I upload a picture if I take it?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To try and save you some work is this it
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yep and this is SATA.

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The original hard drive ( I got it back when I took my computer to get repaired) looks exactly like the one I received from emachines. The connections in the back are the same. The hard drive that was put in by computer repair person ( the latest one that failed ) was connected with the serial ata connectors. So computer repair person must have put in a different kind. My original drive was: barracuda 7200.7
100GB
Model no. ST3100011A

So I don't know. Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK well that Seagate drive was indeed IDE
Posted Image

It is difficult to know if the previous repair was just a new HDD or a new motherboard.

Some computers were supplied that had SATA ports on the motherboard, but the computer was still sold with an IDE interface HDD

Post the full model details of the EMachines
the full model number and then we can look at what you have on the motherboard and hopefully, we can sort the problem out for you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well if they did send you a IDE then I think what they are referring to is a IDE to SATA convertor.
Most likely something like this HERE

Chief1974

Chief1974

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Emachine model T4010
340 intel celeron D processor
100GB hard drive
DVD/CD-RW
512 mb DDR SD ram duel channel capable

Don't know if this was the info you wanted

That may be what he was referring to
Should I buy the adapter you sent me the shortcut to?
Thanks for the quick reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would not yet.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This is the spec of the computer as it was originally
http://reviews.cnet....7-31466284.html

I think it may be beneficial if we were to satisfy ourselves as far as possible - what is the spec now.

I will read the whole topic to ensure we do not have it and post back shortly

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How long ago was the original IDE drive, replaced with the SATA drive that was in the computer when this topic started and that is the drive that failed the diagnostics test