Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear WNDR3400 experiencing bad performance after updt to firmware v

• Please log in to reply

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
My NetGear WNDR 3400 N600 Dual-Band Router is about 18 months old. When I first got it, there was a prompt to update firmware, so I did. It worked fine for a little over a year, except once every couple of months it would drop the 5GHz broadcast (2.4 GHz would continue with no problem).

A few months ago, I checked for updates, hoping to fix the problem above. It said v50 was available. At this time it was running v38, so I updated according to the instructions. Afterwards, I started noticing significantly greater issues.

Now, 5GHz broadcast will stop within 24-48 hours after a reboot. This is consistent every time I reboot. About 72 hours after startup, performance (on 2.4 GHz) will slow down noticeably. This is especially for local networking between my three PCs, but also including the Web.

I've done a full reset more than once, reinstalling v50 every time. Are there settings to reconfigure which would help? Does the 5Ghz stopping sound like a hardware or software issue? Do I need better firmware from another brand?

Thanks in advance for any info help on this. Right now I'm using the wireless-g router built into my phone company's modem. It works ok, but I'd like to get the NetGear fixed.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think you would have better luck posting in one of the Netgear forums, especially since this seems to be firmware related. Could also start here: Netgear Support Home Page

Other than that, the only suggestion I can come up with is to flash the older v38 again.

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks, I'll do that!

Even if I could flash v38, I didn't keep a copy. Don't think I saw any place to backup the firmware before updating. I did backup the settings, though.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Looking at the Netgear web site, I see

WNDR3400 v1 Firmware Version 1.0.0.50
WNDR3400 v2 Firmware Version 1.0.0.16

Maybe try which ever one matches your router?