Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommended power supply?

• Please log in to reply

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi guys ive recently nearly finished my system but I am curious to know what sort of PSU to get for it, im unsure of the watts it should have. My system consists of:

Intel 3770k CPU
Asus p8z77-m pro
Asus 7850 2gb GPU
Blu ray burner
16gb patriot ram
30gb SSD
1tb internal HDD
2x 1tb external mini drives
1x 500gb external mini drive.

Also when installing the motherboard to the case I know that the screws must touch the solder joins, on 2 of the screws it seems to be touching them but it doesnt seem to be covering completely, should I realign the MB?

Advertisements

Funinak

Funinak

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Newegg has a PSU wattage calculator, and I put in your specs and it came out to 453W (http://images10.newe...calc/index.html)

You should probably get a around a 550-650W PSU to make sure you have enough power, and to accommodate any additions you may get.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ledgend thanks buddy :) do you think a psu with a range of 550 - 600 would accommodate overclocking also?

Any thoughts on the MB issue with the screws mate

Funinak

Funinak

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Overclocking shouldn't add a significant amount of more power being drawn, though it will be higher. I'd go with a Corsair AX650, plenty of power and it's fully modular (http://www.newegg.co...39035&Tpk=ax650)

Not sure about the MB problem, I don't have experience with that issue

Edited by Funinak, 16 July 2012 - 11:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Not a fan of modular PSUs myself as quality brands are grossly over priced and all that is needed is good cable management inside your case,

should I realign the MB?

Definitely as the MB must sit correctly so that is grounded against the case both on the base and the I/O plate at the back of the case where your video, USB mic and speaker ports are.