Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows sounds dissapeared

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
my computer has stopped making noise thorugh windows. all of my other programs still make the correct noises, but theres no windows sounds. when i go to control panel and then click on 'sounds and audio devices' then click on the 'sounds' tab then click on any one of the program events that has a sound attatched to it, i get this error message:

"Windows cannot find the file %SytemRoot%\media\Windows XP 'Close Program'.wav."

where it says 'close program' you can insert any of the events for a similar message....cant find asterisk, close program, criotical battery alarm, etc.

i am able to set up the sounds to play other wave files on my computer, so it really seems to me that the windows sounds folder has somehow been erased.

ive tried running the recovery console from the windows cd, and ive tried to locate the folder by browsing the cd. nothing seems to have helped.

does anyone know where i can download the sound files again?

thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have a windows cd or a folder called i386?

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
actually it seems that somehow a folder named 'media' got erased. i copied it from windows on my laptop and everything seems to be working fine again. but yes the i386 folder seems to be there