Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express creates .bak files - help

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi everyone,

Please can someone help me solve a problem for a friend with whom I am visitng for a short time?

It is a long time since I have used Outlook Express on Windows XP, the system my friend is using. The problem my friend is having is that whenever an email is deleted, the Recycle Bin contains a deleted backup file (*.bak) from the original location C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{EE6240FF-24FB- etc }\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Mike has not knowingly told OE to create back up files and does not require these. Is there a way to stop Outlook Express saving these backups? I cannot see anything in Tools, can someone help?

Also, when an email is received with a photo attached, the photo is always way bigger than the screen - only maybe 20% of the photo is seen in the Preview Pane. Is there a way to reduce the size of the photo in the preview pane? I have forgotten how OE behaved when I used it in the past!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Best wishes,

Roger

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Possible help here: Outlook Express .bak files in Recycle Bin

rogerbid

rogerbid