Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me upgrade my comp, please!

• Please log in to reply

sheepwall

sheepwall

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello! Even though I've been gaming for quite a while, I know next to nothing about computer hardware; which leads me to my problem! :)
I need some advice on what I should upgrade.

I have:
Gigabyte Motherboard, EP35-DS3
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7300 2.66GHz (2CPUs)
4096MB RAM

I really appreciate your time.

Edited by sheepwall, 17 July 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
:welcome: sheepwall

Please provide more information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

The above information is important as we need to know the size of your case. full tower - mid tower or SFF (small form factor) as one recommended upgrade would be your video card and not all video cards will fit in the SFF type case and a low profile card must be fitted.

Before upgrading a video card the present PSU (power supply unit) must be checked to see if it can provide enough clean and stable power for the new card and the rest of the system.

Your MB (motherboard) is capable of accepting up to 8GB of Ram, what OS (operating system) are you using, if Windows 7 64-bit then it would be beneficial to increase the Ram to 8GB of Ram.

Last but not least and often the most determining factor, what is your maximum budget for the upgrade.

NB: Additional case fans are often needed when fitting newer and more powerful hardware, fortunately this is relatively inexpensive to do.

sheepwall

sheepwall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply!

It is a custom build, put together with the help of a friend, more cunning on the subject than me. I am not running 64-bit, but I think that I am able to; I was unaware of this when installing Win7, and so I went with the safer option. I don't really know about the PSU. As for the budget, I don't really know what's reasonable and what results I can achieve with what amount of money; I'd say that I want to spend a maximum of 350 euro, perhaps depending on what I'll choose to upgrade.

Thanks again!

Edited by sheepwall, 18 July 2012 - 01:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Got your budget now thanks but before suggesting a video card we will need the PSU details.
A guide to help you get the details http://www.hardwares...om/article/362/