Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Lee_07

Lee_07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm wanting to get a video card for my computer. It's a few years old but still runs good. Wanting to be able to run more games and run the few I can with better performance. Below is a pic of my board and I don't know a lot about graphics cards so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good card for under $150 that would fit my pc. Also I can post any specs you would need to know, just ask. thanks
Posted Image

Edited by Lee_07, 17 July 2012 - 11:59 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: Lee_07

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

The requested information is important as we need to know the size of the case (some cards are large) and what PSU (power supply unit) may be fitted, some cards demand a lot of power and quite often brand name computers use low output poor quality PSUs to keep costs down, anything less than a quality 400W PSU will not be enough for most modern add on video cards.

Lee_07

Lee_07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dell Inspiron 560
All stock, I talked to Dell on their chat thing and they recommended the Radeon 4650.
I mostly play Starcraft, Minecraft, and Some steam games. Such as Team Fortress 2, Left for Dead 2, etc.
PS is 300W I believe.
Just wanting it to run higher frames and not hang up like it does on TF2 and some other steam games.

Would like opinions on the Radeon 4650 or other cards as well as any other upgrades you would recommend.

Edited by Lee_07, 18 July 2012 - 10:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If you wanted to fit a HD 4650 the PSU would need upgrading to a minimum of 400W output and this assumes that you will use a quality brand such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic. http://www.amd.com/u...quirements.aspx