Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutdown, now stuck@ BIOS

• Please log in to reply

youngsir76

youngsir76

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Guys,

Last night my computer logged me off and then restarted itself. When it came back on it only loaded to the Bios but only up to the point where I can hit F2 and then the screen turns black and nothing more happens.

More details:
Running Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion Elite e9140f Desktop PC Quad Core that is 2-3 years old. At the time of "crash" I was downloading files through IE. with 6 windows open. I also had Zune Media Player playing music. At first IE closed all its windows, so I restarted my session and then it did it 2 more time. That 3rd time I reopened the windows, everything loaded up without a problem. Then it closed out again, but this time closed Zune Media Player, logged me off and rebooted. At first I just thought that I missed a clicking ignore/wait 4 hours to install some windows updates because thats exactly how the computer turned off. It wasn't a sudden stall or immediate shutdown, but rather a closing of all windows, logging me off and then restarting. Only this time the Windows logo never turned on.

sCurrent Antivirus is Norton 360 and its updated regularly.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Steve

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
set the boot order in the bios to the cd drive first...save your settings...F10 usually but read the screen to be sure...
put the repair disk you created when you got the computer and boot up from the repair disk...
select repair boot...
if you didn't create a repair disk you will have to get a friend or coworker to burn you one from their system...it needs to be the same flavor as yours...
if yours is pro theirs has to be pro too..

Attached Thumbnails

• W7 CREATE REPAIR DISK.jpg

youngsir76

youngsir76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, Will try this out over the weekend! Never had this happen so wasn't even sure where to begin.