Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd writer detects normal cd's but not blank cd-r

• Please log in to reply

joneskent884

joneskent884

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After I flashed my bios I have found that my cd writer(MSI CD-RW S-8348) does work but will detect normal cd's and run them for example the windows xp cd but will not detect blank cd-r or cd-rw disks. I have been unable to copy information to cd for some time. My motherboard is an MSI KT4V, the BOIS version is v1.3.
Can anyone offer a solution to this problem. I would think the problem will be a bios setting but im not sure and have tried everything I can think of.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Although I guess it's possible that the bios update is to blame for the problem, I can't think of any settings you could change in the bios that would help.

Have you tried different brands of blank cds?
What CD burning software are you using?
Does the writing software report there is no disc inserted when you put a blank cdr in, or some other error such as disc is not blank etc

joneskent884

joneskent884

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ive tried different brands of disks, ive also used several types of burning software. It simply says that there is no disc in the drive. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats really strange then. I can't think how a bios update would prevent it detecting blank CDs but still allow it to read normal cds.
Can you test the drive on another computer just to determine whether it is the bios or your drive thats the problem?

joneskent884

joneskent884

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I havent tested the drive on another computer yet, however I have tested an external usb cd writer and it has the same result :tazz:

joneskent884

joneskent884

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone have any ideas? :tazz:

could a problem with the BIOS update itself be the cause?

Edited by joneskent884, 05 June 2005 - 08:28 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No way is this the bios if the USB burner doesn't write CDs either. (unless there is two completely unrelated reasons for each of course).

Do you get exactly the same problems with the USB writer? ie it can read CDs, is recognised by the burning software but can't recognise blank CDs?

Also, try this :

Open My computer (do this without the usb drive connected, try & get the IDE one working first), right click on the CD writer & select properties. Make sure the Recording tab is present.
If so, then go to device manager in control panel & locate the MSI CD writer in D/M and click on uninstall in the Action menu.
Then on Action menu, click scan for hardware changes.

This should reinstall the driver for the writer. I suspect that your problem is caused by a corrupt driver or some other software issue, as opposed to the bios.

Edited by Samm, 05 June 2005 - 02:26 PM.

dckrl

dckrl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same issue solved recently.

Check whether the IMAPI CD burn COM Service is up and running. (Control Panel/AdminTools/Services)

Maybe your BIOS flash has stopped it from booting.

I had disabled that service when I didn't burn CDs and simply forgotten about it. :tazz: My Laptop wasn't reading blank CD-R's or -RW's till I started that Service again

xyzbaub

xyzbaub

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks muchly.

Turning on the IMAPI CD burn COM Service solved my problem.

Have MSI CR52-M CD-R/RW that stopped burning after upgrade from 2000 pro to XP pro. Was confused because the upgrade mentioned needing to update drivers and/or software. (Can't quite remember now.)

Tried updating NERO more than once. Even updated/flashed the CD chip (or some such). Thought I'd blown something. Yet would read and play CD's, just wouldn't burn them.

MSI was no help at all. Wouldn't respond to e-mail after first request.

Again, thanks.