Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I delete Windows from second partition?

• Please log in to reply

bob_air

bob_air

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have 2 patitions C and E. On C I have the old windows that I want to delete. I know that I have do modify the boot.ini file before I delete it but I don't know what to do.
This is my boot.ini :

[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
UnsupportedDebug="do not select this" /debug
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Edited by bob_air, 19 July 2012 - 03:25 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Is this topic related to this one please

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Hidream

Hidream

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I think there is no thing to do with the boot.ini , since I know windows7 separate the the boot.ini file from system partition, so i think whether you could delete this partition or not is not concern about boot.ini, even through I know that you seems use dual boot partition. Maybe you could connect this disk to anther machine as slave drive and then delete the partition with windows build in disk management, or there is an article it contain some information about delete, format partition: http://www.extend-pa...hard-drive.html

Edited by Hidream, 19 July 2012 - 11:39 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hidream

I think there is no thing to do with the boot.ini , since I know windows7 separate the the boot.ini file from system partition

Thank you for posting, but

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

2. Windows 7 does not have a boot.ini file it has what is known as a boot configuration data

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with Mac also. Not only is there a second windows installation but the boot.ini will need to be corrected to boot to the correct installation without having to choose between the two.
Besides according to the boot.ini there is no Win7 and if there is a dual boot setup this is going to cause issues .

Hidream

Hidream

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I think I need to learn more about dual boot. But as I know that for Win 7 the booting files are stored in 100MB partition, not in the system partition. I will lear about this "a boot configuration data". If I'm wrong, I apologize for my mistake.

Edited by Hidream, 20 July 2012 - 02:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Win7 isn't the issue at the moment but the dual Win XP installation that we are all seeing. Getting rid of the second installation both on the hard drive and in the boot.ini is the important part right now. Deleting the second installation and correcting the boot.ini is what Mac is concentrating on. The Win7 uses a different program to fix it's boot configuration file.