Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No boot after infection [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

new-be

new-be

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried the avg rescue cd but the system still will not boot. It did find malware but didn't help. I tried the other option but I can't get to the advanced boot options. The systems stops after the toshiba splash screen. It will allow me in to the bios but that is as far as it will go. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
new-be(deltaboy)

Edited by new-be, 18 July 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

If you still require assistance, merely acknowledge this post and answer my questions below as best able OK.

1 - What exact make and modal of a Toshiba machine do you have?

2 - Do you have any type of Operating System installation media/recovery disk(s) for your machine at all?

3 - Which exact Operating System is in use?

4 - Since you state your machine is non booting after a malware infection...did you attempt any self fixes at all beforehand and if so what exactly did you do/use? Or if not can you recall any symptoms at all your machine exhibited prior before the current non booting issue etc.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for your response. I wasn't sure if I was in the correct forum. To answer your questions:

1. Toshiba Satellite c655d - s5234

2. I probably don't have any type of recovery disk

3. Windows 7 64bit

4. I ran MBAM which found many infections. After MBAM deleted those it ran for several days and then had a BSOD which was restarted before I could get the error code. Upon restart from the BSOD the computer would not boot. It gets past the Toshiba splash screen and will allow you to F2 for bios and F12 for boot mode (it will not allow F8 for safe mode) but after that it will go to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I tried the AVG rescue as explained in the g2g site and it found several infections also. After renaming of those infections it still will not boot.

Thanks
new-be (deltaboy)

Edited by new-be, 24 July 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Thanks for your response. I wasn't sure if I was in the correct forum.

You're most welcome and aye this is the correct part of the forum for seeking assistance with this particular problem.

1. Toshiba Satellite c655d - s5234

2. I probably don't have any type of recovery disk

If all else fails you could consider invoking the actual Recovery Partition and perform what is known as a Factory Reset, which is basically a defacto reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System. Then in turn your machine would be as was when first purchased and powered up for the first time etc.

How to do so can be read here:-

How to recover a Toshiba notebook with the HDD recovery procedure

Anyway lets check if the following will reveal anything as follows...

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool:

Please download and save Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit to a Flash/USB drive.

Then insert the Flash/USB drive into your machine....

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter[/list] Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste the contents of the aforementioned notepad file in your next reply.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The computer will not allow the F8 key. It stops before it reaches that point. Also, since I can't get to the advanced boot options and all recovery option require that is there anything else I can do?

Edited by new-be, 26 July 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

The computer will not allow the F8 key. It stops before it reaches that point.

Not good at all that, there was a slim chance the problem with the function key in question was intermittent.

Also, since I can't get to the advanced boot options and all recovery option require that is there anything else I can do?

You can check if the Recovery Partition can be invoked this way:-

• Ensure the machine is powered down.
  • Depress and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer >> there may be options for both the 32 and 64 bit of Windows 7
  • Or there just may be a overall option stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten etc.
Let myself know if the above is available and that way at least we will know that could be used. Then if you so wish we could attempt something else too try and rectify the current situation or you can just opt to go for the Factory Reset via the aforementioned method.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No luck with the zero key. It just goes to the blinking cursor and stops.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I took the hdd drive out and put it in an external case an ran a scan by microsoft essentials and it found a few problems. I cleaned those and put hdd back in but it still would not boot. I can hold the zero down and get to windows boot manger now. I pressed F8 but did not see the option for repair your computer to be able to run the Farbar recover scan tool.

Edited by new-be, 27 July 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

My apologies for the delay, I am not always available at the weekends...

OK let see if we can use a different methodology so we are able to run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and create a log for my review as follows.

Next:

We will need a type of writeable CD/DVD and additionally the use of your USB drive for the below...

It might be a good idea to either copy/print out the instructions below as a reference for example:-

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Too 64 Bit and save it to a flash drive. (if you have deleted the first version that is)
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads etc.
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
    Posted Image
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste the contents of the aforementioned notepad file in your next reply.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No problem with the delay. Thanks for your help. I tried the cd boot and it said:
CD BOOT: COULDN'T FIND NTLDR

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Edited by new-be, 29 July 2012 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

No problem with the delay. Thanks for your help.

Thank you and you are most welcome!

I tried the cd boot and it said

OK we will try a another way to boot the machine with the CD you have just created...

1 - Since you recently removed the machines actual hard-drive and slaved it etc, double check again it is fitted correctly.

2 - Change back the BIOS boot up options to what is was. IE: the default to boot from the hard-drive.

Next:

3 - Now place the CD you created back in your machines optical drive and reboot(which basically is going to be a cold shut-down in this instance).

4 - Then as the machine is going through the POST(power on self test) after starting it up, keep depressing Function Key 12(F12) to bring up the boot sequence.

5 - Choose the option boot from CD Drive. Do try this several times if not successful at first. In the event you can boot successfully from the aforementioned CD, merely refer to my prior instructions in post #9.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried to boot computer from cd several times and same results each time. Couldn't find NTLDR. I think I have everything off the hdd that we would need. Is there anyway to create a recovery disk from another windows 7 computer.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Is there anyway to create a recovery disk from another windows 7 computer.

Not that is not a option I'm afraid as a Toshiba Recovery CD is basically unique to/for each machine...

As for the continuing problems, not looking good I have to be honest and I suspect your infected machines overall Boot Loader(including the actual MBR(master boot record) and Recovery Partition etc) are damaged and quite possible the Operating System as a whole is also.

Please double check the actual BIOS settings again as even though the current problems no reason why your infected machine should not be able to boot up from a CD/DVD. When doing so ensure nothing else is connected to the machine, then retry the bootable CD afterwards. If still the same problem, try cleaning the actual bootible CD as may be marks on the surface and try again. Finally if still the same just try booting your machine as normal and inform myself exactly what occurs this time etc.

Though feasible it may be something else entirely but my options are limited with no physical access and I have no idea what infections were(probably still) present. It may just be you will have to either take your machine to a reputable local IT Repair Centre and or contact Toshiba directly and request the Recovery CD for your machine for example.

Anyway for now just do as I advised re the BIOS/bootable CD and let myself know the outcome, thank you.

new-be

new-be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just wanted to let you know I haven't been able to check out the bios yet but didn't want this post to close. I should be able to get to it this weekend.
Thanks,
deltaboy

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Not a problem and thank you for the courtesy of informing myself. :)