Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Redirect virus keeps coming back after cleanup! [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Once I know which one it is I can add to my list and then remove it for you

Advertisements

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay. This may take a while though because there would be long stretches without redirects and then suddenly they would start up again with some frequency. I've already enable the first add-on and will do some Google searches and see what happens. BTW, how much of a security risk are these redirects? Are they just an annoyance or can they mine information off one's computer?? :confused:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The ones you appear to have are of the pennies per click variety, i.e. every time you go to the site someone get a redirect fee. The amount for each one is small, but if you multiply it by the millions it adds up very fast

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ah ha! You're onto something! I was going to point out that the redirects seem to appear mostly when I'm searching for a product. I'll do some Google searches for products and see what happens. Later....

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you have an addon called translator or something similar ?

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nope... nothing like that. I've enabled over half of them and so far no redirects. I'll update tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Shucks .. That was one I found yesterday and I was hoping

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Still nothing... and I've enabled almost all the add-ons. This is really frustrating me... I've helped many friends clean viruses off their computers over the years and never had one myself... and now this!!! Grrrrr!! I did go into the history and made a note of the redirects before clearing the history. The one redirect that keeps coming back is "click.get-answers-fast.com". Another one was "newsfudge.com". Of course when doing research I found lots of sites wanting to sell this or that program to get rid of it. I refuse to pay $30 for a program that might or might not work! I've tried lots of spyware removers and this particular virus keeps repairing itself. Not ready to format and reinstall everything yet, but getting close. :upset:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Never say never, there is a final solution if you cannot find the add on... A total uninstall/reinstall of Firefox.

I allways have problems with Firefox as it has so many nooks and crannies where redirectors can hide.. Which I guess is why I only use IE9

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
If you think a total uninstall/reinstall of Firefox will fix the problem, should I just do that? Or do you want to continue trying to find the culprit? Would be good to know exactly what and where it is, right?

I am surprised that you said you always have problems with Firefox!! I read years ago that it was more secure than IE, but perhaps IE has improved, right? I've used Firefox for many years and IE only occasionally. Firefox loads faster but it does have a few bugs. Never had any major problems until now. Don't think I can use IE9 because my old laptop runs Win XP. Oh well, we'll see what happens if you are willing to stick with this investigation. Thanks.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I am game to continue if you are

IE9 is now the more secure browser out there, plus it works straight out of the box, no addons required

IE8 is nearly as secure but it is the highest option that you can get with XP

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay... I'm game... love puzzles. Let's beat this virus!! :thumbsup: Got to get some work done now but I'll do some more testing this afternoon. Later.... thanks again!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Thank you I am adding to the list of bad boys all the time :lol:

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, I went thru all the add-ons and enabled them one by one in Firefox safe mode, but they did not activate the redirect virus. Then I went back into Firefox regular mode and after several searches without problems they magically reappeared!!! :bashhead:

Then I decided to do another thorough cleanup and ran all my updated cleanup programs and did an Avast anti-virus scan and low 'n behold it found two viruses!! Both were Win32:Trojan:Gen and found in C:\..... SystemVolumeInformation|_restore + a bunch of letters and numbers. I assume this is in the System Restore files in Windows. Avast removed them, of course, and so far they haven't reared their ugly heads again, but does this mean I should turn off System Restore thus emptying the restore files??

This is so weird... I've never had any viruses on my computer before... it's always been clean. I'm now wondering if Win XP is more vulnerable than it used to be. Perhaps it's time for a new computer, but I don't like Windows 7 so I'm being bull-headed and refusing to get it. Oh well. Do you think this is the end of these redirect viruses?? Please advise. Thanks.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I will second the weird aspect, as if it was in system restore then I would expect it to affect all browsers. XP is becoming more vulnerable although in another few years it will probably be very secure as no one will target it.

Lets clear my stuff off and reset the restore points, but monitor for a while in case it rears its ugly head again

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave: