Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Redirect virus keeps coming back after cleanup! [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sillycat41

Sillycat41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Good day!! Still no redirects. Will reset the restore points and run OTL this morning. I am curious about something though... why did you want me to "Do not show hidden files and folders"?? I have always shown them so I get find files when researching. Don't you usually just hide then from inexperienced people so they don't accidentally make a mistake? I know I do that on other people's computers when I work on them. ;)

BTW, I have used Malwarebytes for years, always keep it up to date and I do run it at least once a week. :)
Will download that FileHippo update checker and run it. Also I was behind on Windows XP updates because if I leave the setting on automatic it always slows my computer down when it finds new updates. So I usually just check once a week but have been slipping lately. There were several security updates that I downloaded yesterday.

I'm still puzzled as to why Avast didn't find those trojans when I did a scan a couple of weeks ago. The redirect viruses have been around for a while so they should have already been in Avast's definitions. Oh well. Hope that's the end of this stuff. Thanks again for all your help! I'll post again if it reappears. Take care.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

why did you want me to "Do not show hidden files and folders"?? I have always shown them so I get find files when researching. Don't you usually just hide then from inexperienced people so they don't accidentally make a mistake?

Spot on there, we do not want the inexperienced person to delete them, but if you are happy them by all means do it your way

Unfortunately the Antivirus companies are always playing catchup... They have to wait for the malware to appear before they can work out the detection and cleaning routines

Keep safe :wave:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.