Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Armor Update Message: Corrupt File

• Please log in to reply

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
When I checked the file in question, I noticed in the info, the date created is 1899, which is very suspicious to me; I have a few files like that, and they're all system files, I had them written down someplace, not sure if i still do. If I recall correctly, this is a system_32 file. I don't know what to do. Here's the actual message:

OA: File help_ena.chm is corrupted

This happens whenever OA searches for updates. I can close the message, but I'd really like to fix this. There's been no problems connected with this as far as I know.

Many months ago, when I came here more often, I mentioned the suspicious date to someone; I think the person said to delete those files, but I was afraid to, being they're system files. I will see if I kept the logs I created regarding them.

Thanks to whoever can help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello again blueblue and yes I agree that date is suspicious. I have only one question and that is id you ever go through the malware forum to have your system checked out by our malware techs to make sure you don't have a active infection that may be causing all this mess for you? If not then I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, thanks for replying. I remember you were very helpful to me many months ago. When I first came here I had someone check my system for malware, and through some reading I did, learned about ways to detect malware, including seeing a bogus date. Despite that, my system was declared to be clean. I haven't had any problems, but am still suspicious. There are 2 or 3 other files with this date. If I can find the logs I made that listed the files, I'll keep them in case I need to referr back to them, so I hope I kept a copy.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
These dates have happened since you were declared clean the last time? If so I would let the malware techs take a look to be sure. If they don't find anything we can continue here then. :thumbsup:

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK, I looked at the link you gave me. Those steps are what I did back when I had a different problem. If I recall clearly, I discovered the bogus dates just after being declared clean. The techie said to delete those files. There were about 4 of them with the same date.

I don't remember how I discovered the bogus dates, but I'm glad I did.

So I guess I will head over to the malware section and post my info, get OTL and go through the whole process again. I'm glad I kept the logs I created.

Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just want to make sure you are still clean before we try steps that may not work.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK and thanks. Because they're system files, I left them alone, afraid my computer would be unusable if removed. No one's fault but mine if I'm infected. I wasn't told what to do about replacing those files, if I could get them from the systems disk I created, or if I'd have to go to microsoft to get them replaced. I am very embarrassed. Well I'm off to the malware forum.

Thanks again.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
UPDATE: So far, nothing malicious was detected by aswMBR, TDSSKiller, OTL, or ComboFix. I tried deleting SpyBot as instructed but part of it is still there, the TeaTimer. We'll work on that when we finish with this corrupt file problem.

Edited by blueblue, 22 July 2012 - 01:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK Essexboy is helping you and when he says it is clean then rest assured it is clean. I trust his work without question so when he is done we will look at other options from the tech side. Thank you for the update. :thumbsup:

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK and thanks. I do have a couple of other problems, hopefully he remembers to help me with the spybot fragment that's still there, but my other problem is one I'm not sure how to catagorize, it's about my external disc drive, and, though it's hardware, the problem is with the software, which used to work on this machine, but doesn't now, because I did something to the program that runs it. When I tried reloading the disk, it wouldn't fix the problem. I have it working on my xp machine so I tried to copy a file missing from this machine that I found out about through a message that popped up when I tried to activate the program, well it wouldn't work after copying that file and someone told me those files don't always copy over, it was a DLL. Now I can't use the drive on this machine. The program running is is Nero Essentials, I went to their site and tried getting the files from there, then I got a message about it not being compatible with win 7, which I know is untrue, so of course they wanted me to buy some upgrade program for it, I can't afford it, tried to DL a trial version, but lost my connection during the DL and never got it. I KNOW the original program works, and only stopped working when I accidentally deleted some files related to it, thinking I didn't need them, not realizing what they were. I'm so embarrassed. :oops:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just mention Spybot to him and he will help you.
Nero Essexboy might be able to help you with and if not just return here when he is done and we will help you then. :thumbsup:

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Ok, thanks. He's working on the spybot issue for me right now. I wanna have that disc drive working before deleting system files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Essexboy may be able to instruct you with the system files and if not he can always let me know and I can pickup everything in this topic when he is done.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
[color#5757FF] This tech stuff makes me feel so blue. I wish I knew what was going on with those messages; hoping it's some glitch, but the suspicious dates still have me worried. [/color]

Edited by blueblue, 22 July 2012 - 04:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My hope and one of the goals we strive for here at GTG is to not just resolve a issue but hopefully teach you something along the way. The more you know the more at ease you are working on your system. Hopefully when we are all done you will to honestly be able to say we taught you something. ;) :cool: :thumbsup: