Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown device

• Please log in to reply

joanelaine

joanelaine

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
There is an entry if device manager, "Other devices" and when I open it understand it says unknown device, what could that be and should I delete it.
thank you,
joanelaine

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you having any problems? If not you can ignore it, or try to figure out what device it is and see if there is a driver available for it.

Double click on the unknown device.
Click on the Details page In the Properties drop down, select Hardware IDs.
Click on the one similar to this: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&CC_020000 then press Ctrl+C to copy it.
Open your web browser and go to google.com.
Paste the copied data there and press Enter.

Hopefully that will give you an idea what the device is. If not, post that data here and I can help look.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
This is what I get when I click on properties and detals
CONFIGFLAG_FAILEDINSTALL

I've tried to googled it but I don't understand what comes up can you help please.
I was having trouble with my DVD burner and when I was trying to fix that (I think I have) I thought I saw a quick message about a driver pop up in the task bar.

thank you,
joanelaine

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of your computer?
Did it come with Windows 7 or did you upgrade from XP or Vista?
Do you have anything plugged into any of the USB ports, front or back of computer?

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you for responding. My machine is an Acer e machine, model E1352. Windows 7 came with the computer. I've had it 7 months. The only things I have plugged in are the mouse,speakers,monitor,canon printer, modem & keyboard.

My trouble started when I decided to uninstall a program I actually paid for, called Tune Up Utilities 2012. I didn't like it at all. I used to have the 2008 version and like that much better. I think that's when my trouble started because I uninstalled it via Revo Uninstaller, and there were over 1000 files so took me ages to tick them all. I should have uninstalled it via control panel. I don't like windows 7, in XP when one clicks all programs usually there is an uninstall option next to programs, not in win7. I have a feeling it was uninstalling other utilities if there are any in win 7.

Then to make matters worse I decided to install NTI CD & DVD Maker that came with my XP machine. I didn't look on the disk until after I installed it and says for win 95 to XP. Thats when my problems started with my DVD drive, when I tried to open NTI, Nero seemed to be mixed up in the whole thing so I uninstalled that as I had no choice because it had started. I didn't even know Nero was on this machine, I've never used it cause I don't like it, don't understand it more like it. I found an entry "somewhere" in this computer that said "Nero' so I clicked on it and reinstalled Nero. I think my DVD drive is working now. When I uninstalled NTI I looked in recycle bin and one of the icons said "engine" and I deleted the bin anyway. I have a feeling that "unknown device", has something to do with the DVD optical drive. Every now and then a message pops up that a driver is not installed......so don't know what to do now. The DVD drive seems to be working now but I'm concerned about the entry "unknown device". I had promised myself I wasn't going to mess around with this machine like I did with my XP desktop. I had to format and reinstall Windows on that and now I have given to my friend. I still have a laptop with XP on it.

Sorry for all the information but thought I better tell you.
Many thanks
joanelaine.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The quickest and surest way to fix this is to backup your data (pics, music, documents, etc) then restore the computer to it's factory new state. I know it's painful but it will fix the problem and you being wiser now should not run into it again :lol:

Does it have a built in Recovery Partition that you can access via the Start menu or a Fn key at boot time? I can't find anything at the Acer web site (or a Google search) for the eMachine E1352 so I can't look at the manual.

If not, do you have the Acer recovery DVD or did you create a set of Recovery DVDs when you first got the computer?

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I think I will ignore it for the time being, I've just about had it with computers. I've been formatting and reinstalling my old desktop XP computer and gave it to my friend cause I couldn't fix her old machine, tried repair on that but had to do a clean install. I didn't want that computer anyway. Plus I had to back up all her data and reinstall her data and programs cause she can't do it.

Yes, I had to create some restore disks for this computer when I first set it up so I have them, nothing came with it just what I was prompted to create. Since that entry is not causing me any grief I'll leave it for now.

Many thanks for your help. I may come back when I have had a bit of a break from trouble with computers.

joanelaine.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Before doing that though, open an Elevated Command Prompt then run sfc /scannow. It can take awhile so be patient. See if that fixes any missing or damaged system files.

Next, try right clicking on the unknown device while in device manager and select Uninstall, then reboot? I'm wondering if something got messed up and deleting it and allowing Windows 7 to redetect it and reload the driver may fix it.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I didn't quiet understand the elevated command prompt. when I follow the instructions (all of them) I get the black dialogue box with C:\Users\Joan's Computer then a flashing - so I didn't know what to type there (sorry).

Plus I forgot to tell you that when I got this computer I had trouble at first getting updates so rang Microsoft. The technician there gave me instructions to download a Windows 7 operating system disk and burn it, so I have a win 7 disk. I couldn't believe it and asked her "are you sure I have a proper operating disk for win 7 and she assured me I did, si I thik I'm lucky at least with that.
Joanelaine.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
sorry not with it this morning, I've just realised that I have to type in sfc /scannow in that command box so it's doing that now...the system scan.
Joanelaine

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The scan finished and the message is " Windows Resource Protection did no find any integrity violations".So I will delete the unknown device and see what happens.
Joanelaine.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well I uninstalled the unknown device and re booted, it booted up with no problems so all seems well now.
Thanks you so much for your help, much appreciated/
Regards,
Joanelaine.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's great, glad all is well. Take care.