Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt File Alert by Firewall; File has Bogus Date [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Major Edit:

OK I ran the tweak fix program but when I searched for the log, it looked to me like it was saying it'd be for doing a new fix, I couldn't tell that it was related to the fix already done. This is so embarrassing. I don't have the best eyesight so that causes problems sometimes.

I don't notice any difference in how my system runs, 'cept the firewall asking for permission to run a program I had previously allowed. Everything else seemsto be the same, the alert from OA is still popping up. Maybe that program doesn't fix those things? It says it doesn't fix everything, because it'sstill "young".

The person who created it has done a wonderful job, I wish I could afford to donate something to him, and to all the wonderful people who help us, including others who create programs that help make our lives easier. :thumbsup:

oh I am so frustrated and I can't find that program file that's supposedly corrupt. Dang techno stuff.

I'm gonna try to get those screenshots on here, too.

Edited by blueblue, 23 July 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That programme resets any changed windows defaults back to normal (usually after a malware attack)
It also runs SFC to check the veracity of your protected files
It is not a cure all but it will fix some irritating problems

I reckon what we are looking at here is a corruption with the .net framework on the system

What are the versions of .Net that you have on your system ?

You can find that out by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features

[attachment=59170:Capture.GIF]

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
The program you asked about is Microsoft. NET Framework 4 Client Profile. That's all I can see, I'm looking for the version, will edit this message when i find it.

[EDIT]: Version 4.0.30319

Edited by blueblue, 24 July 2012 - 09:16 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Download a fresh version from here to your desktop and run it

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK but the date is 7/23/2012 for the one I have now. My system has been messed up for many months already. After I install it what else should I do?

Edited by blueblue, 24 July 2012 - 11:45 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Let me know whether the corrupt file is still detected

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, sorry for the delay, I had technical problems yesterday which have been causing me a lot of stress, yet unresolved.

I'm been in a techno nightmare, trouble with windows update, need to reformat, need to know how to  rebuild. My disc drive is dysfunctional, can't fix it, did something to the software, been unable to restore it....  I am etremely upset. People want money from me i do not have. Please help if you can 

Microsoft says there's a way to make a flash drive bootable so I could put the win7 files I need after reformatting, I need to know what site is reliable to get it.  I am at my wit's end, this tech stuff has caused me such tormoil in my life and I have had enough but I have a paid account for a service I have to wait till it expires  I have been SO CAREFUL and yet those miserable hackers got inand  TDSSKiller found something today. I think it was neutralized. 

Please help. The corrupt file alert still pops up, updates are causing malfunctions, it seems the only solution is reformatting, I've done it once, unsuccessful in rebuilding, need to be sure I can rebuild the system properly. I hope to hear from you today. I didn't want to leave you wondering why I haven't gotten back to you. If I am unable to get online, it is because I was unable to rebuild successfully.

Thank you for your time, assistance, and patience.

Edited by blueblue, 25 July 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you wish to copy the windows CD to a USB drive and then re-install from that ?

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
yes, but I need to know what to do after I reformat. As long as the drive has everything I need on it I'll be OK I hope.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Although this link is relevant to XP the basics of what to backup transfer across to Vista and 7

How to prepare a USB for accepting the Windows Files and becoming bootable

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks for the links. 

I have more information for you. When I was on the phone with microsoft, they said I might have a virus that's not being detected, because 2 of their updates won't work on my computer, they cause a lot of malfunctions. One of the technicians ran TDSSKiller, which found something, and I think it was neutralized, but still the updates won't work. I know it's no guarantee reformating will remove it, but the techie agreed it might be the only solution. It was my idea. I had just run TDSSKiller 1 or 2 days earlier, it didn't find anything, but my problems started many months ago and I didn't realize how severe theiy were.

Back then the program did find something, and quarentened it, another program found something, too. My system was declared clean by someone here, but the problems persisted. I do not blame the techie, I realize no one's perfect, and these viruses can be a real pain to detect and remove.  I ran TDSSKiller last night just to be sure. There was nothing, and I couldn't find the report about the previous threats found earlier that day and I couldn't find a log to check.

I'm at my wit's end with all this and will be taking a break from the net soon, but I still want my system to be clean and functional in case I decide to return to the net. A week or so ago I backed up everything ion 2 expansion drives and I wanna put TDSSKiller on them to check them again for problems. I've done that before and they found something, which I was able to quarentene. Backing my files up likely transferred whatever I have to them, too, AND my offline machine.  Thank you for all your help.

Edited by blueblue, 26 July 2012 - 08:28 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When you restore the backed up data, first scan it to death with a good antivirus, I would recommend Dr. Web in this instance. Use the free linux disc so that it is inert

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
disk? If only I could get my disc drive to work, I could use the repair disc I made when I got this machine.

Would it help to run Dr Web now? I'm looking it up in a search.

Edited by blueblue, 26 July 2012 - 08:37 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
There is a USB version of Dr Web

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK so I can run dr web and also run it on my other drives, hope I can transferr it to the other machine and check that too and there's another machine to check also, when I see my friend.