Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupt File Alert by Firewall; File has Bogus Date [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aye but it will not be quick as it checks every file

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, I got the Dr Web but it didn't find anything; I may do a complete scan anyway. Something is causing these problems, from the alert of a corrupt file by OA, to having trouble with ms updates. Thi is nerve wracking, I'm sure it's frustrating for you, too.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
One area to check would be the hard drive, it may be failing

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
This computer is not very old, 2 or 3 years; it was new when I bought it; I hope the HD is OK, it'll be awhile before I can afford a new one. Occasionally I run diagnostics on it to see how it's doing, I can check it again. Also, I'm still trying to figure out how to work the Dr Web program for the USB drive.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Install details here

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, thank you for the link. I will be busy for a few days and may not be online. My computer will require more time than I haave right now so if I'm not here that's why. Before doing anything, I need to do a lot of reading to be sure I know what I'm doing, if I want to reformat my machine by myself. It may be the only way to fix the many problems I have. Starting clean will fix them; I hope it fixes anything nasty that may be hiding. I'll check back here to see if there's any advice I can use; I'm sure there is. Thank you for all your help. You did your best, which means a LOT to me.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Any time you are ready .. If the thread is closed then shoot me a PM

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi and thank you for all your help. I would like your advice, do you think I'm doing the right thing? Is there anything else we can do? I just hope that this will fix my problems, though I know there's no guarantee reformatting will remove a virus, or whatever it is I may have. When TDSSKiller found threats, which I think were neutalized, the updates still wouldn't work and I still get the alert about the corrupt files. Whatever got in, someone hid it well. The microsoft tech thought it'd work once we got rid of the threats. I had run the program previously, and found nothing. It surprised me when he went to the site for that program and ran the it. We both believed all would be well afterwards. I don't blame anyone who tries to help and fails to find the problem. This stuff is so complicated, it's a wonder anything gets done. I truly admire all the hard work those who have graduated GeedU have put in to earn your positions; I also admire anyone who finishes tech school or is able to learn on their own. This techno world has changed our lives forever. We've becme too dependent on it though. I'll try to check in here but I'll be unable to devote any quality time to the computer for awhile, for about a week. After I finally fix it, whether I do it myself or end up paying to have it done, I don't know what I'll do, but I do know I need a vacation from the net. That may happen by year's end, for how long, I don't know. There's many things I'll miss, and many more I won't. So if you think we've exhausted all our options or not; if you think reformatting is a good idea, I am interested to know. Thank you again for all your help, time, and patience.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My feeling on this is that the windows system is somehow corrupt. To track down and repair the errors would take by far longer than a re-install and even then we might not get it all

So the fastest and best option at this stage would be a re-install

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, thank you for re-opening the thread. Here's what I want to do and the problems I'm having:

I want to reformat my computer in case the corruption is a virus, though it may not be, but either way, the computer isn't working well. I hope my HD isn't failing, I couldn't afford another computer for awhile.

If my disc drive would work, I could use that to reinstall the system files, but I don't have a Windows 7 disc, so I'd have to get online to get it, or have microsoft send me one. I am unable to use my disc drive because of some file I accidentallly deleted. My computer is a netbook, the drive is external. When I tried to copy the missing file from another machine, it wouldln't work.

A few days ago while I was here, I clicked on a link I saw in a thread you made about reformatting, and got a message that the file I needed doesn't exist, it was some kind of recovery file, if I recall. When I got the computer I forgot to do something that would've made it easier to restore back to factory default, the missing file I got the message about may be that one.

I got the program you gave me the link to that makes a USB drive bootable but I haven't beeen able to figure out how to make it work. Now that I'm not as stressed out as I was during that time, I will try again to make that happen.

There has to be a way for me to do this. I still get the alert about the corrupt help file, and I still have to copy the suspicious files someplace, but really, I'd rather just start clean. The past few weeks have been very busy and I haven't had the time or patience to work on it but things are settling down now, and I can devote some time to this.

I think my first step should be to try getting that USB to be bootable, so I will try doing that within the next 2 days.

I will let you know how it goes. If there's any instructions I need to have during the reformatting process that needs to be printed out, please let me know, I don't have another machine to get online with, or anywhere to go to get online.

Thanks again for all your help.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Does your netbook have a recovery partition... What is the make and model

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Recovery partition, I don't know. My computer is an Acer Aspire One. It's 2 or 3 years old.

A good friend has the same problem, says something came in with SP1, he can't get certain updates to work either, but I don't think he has Win 7, though he's sure of where the virus came from, and says he can't get rid of it, has to reformat.

While looking around at this site, I found another program that makes USB drives bootable, so if I can't figure out that other one I'll give it a try.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have a look here http://acer.custhelp...WQvVVZTaFRtM2w=