Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt File Alert by Firewall; File has Bogus Date [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Oh THANK YOU! I will try the "Restore Operating System and Retain User Data."

First I need to see what I have to back up, bookmarks, browser, etc.. :) :thumbsup:

I got the Dr. Web USB to work, but now I need to know a few more things, mainly about the files to backup; my concern is backing up system files that may be infected. When I backed up my files awhile ago I was concerned that I prob'ly copied the virus, too. :(

While I wait for a reply, I'm reading up on this as much as I can and did print out some info from the Acer site. Before trying this, I need to be sure I have all the files I need to restart the machine, so I'm gonna make a list. If I goof, I have no way to get online for awhile, so if I'm not back soon, that's why. Someday I'll get another computer to use for getting online if I can't get on with this one.

Edited by blueblue, 10 August 2012 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
After doing some reading, I see I have to do a total reformat, to be sure I'd wipe out any virus or malware, so I will start backing up and hope I'm not copying a virus, too, this is my main concern, wish I could get help with it, if I copied a virus, all my efforts will be useless to start clean.I prob'ly already copied it onto my other drives and other machine, lucky the other machine stays offline but if I want to use those files online I'm sunk. :(

Edited by blueblue, 11 August 2012 - 08:31 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Using the factory restore option will wipe the drive.. And nothing should survive that. For the external drives give them a good scan with your antivirus and malwarebytes

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I did 2 scans with Malwarebytes, one on my computer and one on an expansion drive, nothing was found but I know something is there. Using any backups will reinfect me, I am sunk.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In that case only take from the backups what is absolutely essential..Then when done wipe the backup

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
oh no! That'd be disasterous! I have files from many years on there!This is unbelievable! Maybe I should just quit the net and forget about it, seems more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by blueblue, 11 August 2012 - 03:09 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If there is nothing being reported then they are probably OK. Do you have programmes on the backups or are they just data files ?

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
programs and files, programs can be replaced, not my files.

Edited by blueblue, 11 August 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Programmes are the ones that will be infected .. The files should be OK

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Remember, I can't get some updates to work, I still have the alert of a corrupt file, still have suspicious dates on system files, so not knowing what I have, I don't know if it's just system files that may be infected or if everything is infected, I prob'ly have infested everything I hve. I'm at my wit's end with this. I don't know what it's doing, I am in the dark, been so careful, all I know is this whole thing started in Feb with the update prob. Oh well, that's how it goes; I can wipe this machine out but I need some of those files. I can get new programs, but my personal files I sometimes transfer and send to friends. This whole thing is just too much.

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK I understand they'd want to target the programs, what I'm uncertain about is how far those infections go. If it's true that the files are OK that'd be a great relief but I will always wonder. Those viruses are so cleverly disguised so they're hard ot detect. I've been infected before, and luckily it seems my files were OK but I always had that concern and always will, about the files. I know they hide stuff in graphics and music, as well as in other files, too. Well if you have no other ideas I guess this is the end of the line. I can wipe out the drive, start clean, get programs from the net, not the backups.

I appreciate your help, you did what you could.

Edited by blueblue, 11 August 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Only file infectors attach themselves to files and there is no indication of that at all, so they should be safe... Just the programmes will need to be new and fresh

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
OK. Thank you for all your help. I guess it's time to take the plunge into the world of reformatting. Supposedly my machine will do it for me. If not, I will have to pay someone to fix it and that won't happen for quite awhile. I'll back up a few files, forget the programs, and just wipe this thing out. If I'm lucky it won't take long to get back on, I'll set up the built-in AV, update it, then come here.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
well I took the plunge and I'm back but not without problems, can't get router to acknowledge a pw, though I reset it, and got some info from the friend who had a similar prob, he says SP1 is infected all over, that's why some updates won't work, he had the exact same prob. I can't get him to give me enough time to help with it, having an awful time and have ZERO help. I don't know what else to say, 'cept, all the security measures I took failed, I did my best. What's the use? I still do NOT admit defeat though, and NEVER will. My router is old, I KNOW the company will not support it so I won't bother with that, I also lost my product key to win7 home premium and didn't know which product key finder program to use before reformatting so I lost that too and the e-mail about it; and of course microsoft was no help so as usual I'm screwed but that's how it goes. I have to decide if it's really worth continuing. I had upgraded online, didn't see much difference anyway. Usually I write the product keys down, will make sure I do it again when and if I decide to pay for win 7, or when I'm forced to upgrade, which I'm sure will happen soon enough.

Solution 1, don't bother trying to get win 7 home premium back, wait for win 8; forget the router, too. 3. Don't worry about this tech stuff, it's going nowhere fast, still as insecure as ever, and always will be, till SOMEONE puts the GREEDY companies in their place and FORCES them to really DO something about it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Oh well I guess you're busy.