Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot (most of the time)...

• Please log in to reply

budda44

budda44

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's the issue. 95% of the time when I turn my self-made HTPC it will not boot. It POSTs fine (single beep) but then proceeds to a black screen with a flashing cursor. Its not an MBR issue, it will not boot from a USB or CD consistently (has a few times). I have run memtest+ a couple of times (when it decides to boot off a usb stick) with no apparent errors. After changing BIOS settings, I was able to randomly get it to boot once. Then, when shutdown, it would not start again.

Here is what I have done:

Changed PSU, motherboard, and RAM- no change with any.

Odd (maybe related) issues: the motherboard will occasionally fail to power the USB fully (to the point that the keyboard will not work in the BIOS). This happens with both motherboards (ASRock a75m-itx).

Thoughts?

Advertisements

r55741

r55741

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
If you didn't run a test with the MOBO on a cardboard I would start with that.

Just the MOBO + PSU + processor + 1 Ramstick
then same thing but a different ram stick

see if the ram makes any difference.

If your board has no integrated graphics then start without the Video card and listen to the beeps no monitor.

See if that makes any difference. Then start adding parts until you find what's at fault.

If you have already done this your processor might be the only thing causing you problems. Which is strange because it doesn't sound like a heat issue.

budda44

budda44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. Nearly all of my tests were outside the case to ensure no shorts to metal. After testing every component, I finally replaced the processor and the thing fired right up. Strange CPU issue. Sending it back to AMD for warranty replacement.

Thanks again.