Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK Stalls

• Please log in to reply

SuperDonald

SuperDonald

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all, hopefully this will be as painless as possible, for everyone here.

So, in the last day, or two, I've tried running chkdsk, repeatedly, and it constantly stall at 12% on step 1.

The reason for running it is due to Tune Up Utilities. I got a notice saying that it should be run to fix an issue. This must be an ongoing issue, as I'll get this message once a month, or so.

Usually everything runs fine, but, not so much this time. For the most part, my computer runs fine (or, as fine as it was a few days ago anyway) other than this, and freezing when I try to use itunes. The itunes thing has been a thorn in my side for the last 2 months, on and off. From dumping my entire library, thus having to remake every playlist. To now. It didn't dump the lists or anything, this time.

Anywho. So, chkdsk stalls out, and I've searched online for fixes, which is what brought me here. I read this thread about another persons chkdsk not running. So, I downloaded the Auslogics BoostSpeed utility. So far it'll get towards the end of the scan, and it seems to stall out as well, on different files. I'm going to give it another try, now, and give it more time. But, when it stalls, it ends up freezing up the entire system, so I have to do a hard boot, which is getting me pretty close to wanting to take a hammer to the entire thing and be done with it.

So, before I go, some general stats about the machine, if you need anything more specific, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Windows XP Pro service pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 5000+
HP Pavilion a6130n

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Possible your hard drive has problems. Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

SuperDonald

SuperDonald

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I knew there was something I hadn't mentioned. I did download the western digital diagnostics from the older thread I linked. I wasn't able to complete the basic scan. Unfortunately, I forget why exactly, there was some error.

I want to do the more comprehensive scan, but it was estimating a 24-26 scan time, and right at the moment, I don't have a free 24 time frame to scan it.

That is my guess as well though, I was hoping I'd run across something quicker (well, less than a day, at least) if possible. If it comes down to it, I'll do that scan in the next day or so, and see if that does the trick.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would strongly urge you to back up your data now if you have not already done so, then look into getting a new hard drive.

SuperDonald

SuperDonald

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
[bleep]. I still want to run the scan, just to cover all bases. Luckily, in my time, I've crashed enough hard drives to be pretty good about backing up the important/time consuming stuff. But, I'll double check that, just in case it needs to be done