Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hd in RAW. tried multiple formatting methods,none worked

• Please log in to reply

carol.lopes

carol.lopes

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I decided to format my 500gb external hard drive, since I wanted to delete some files and simply could not, it would not let me.

So first I tried to format simply by clicking right button and format, it took 8 hours and in the end it said that the Windows was not able to complete the formatting. I tried the same thing on another pc - both Windows Vista - it happened the same thing. But something changed, my HD was NTFS and after the unsuccessful formatting it was showing RAW.

Then I tried the quick formatting, which also did not work. So I tried to format using the disk management, but it didn't work either.

Next I tried the Diskpart, which is a program that comes with windows, that interprets commands, but it didn't work either.

Then I downloaded the HDD Low Format Tool, put it to format the HD, it finished the process but it continued useless and as RAW.

So, now I have done everything I knew and could think of. Unfortunately the HD is out of warranty time, and I really don’t want to lose it. Can somebody please help?

PS: in the attached file: disc management, the word Íntegro means HEALTHY, Simples means SIMPLE and Básico means BASIC.

Attached Thumbnails

• disc management.jpg
  • disc properties.jpg
  • diskpart.jpg

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try Seatools for DOS it is a bootable program where you can test and format your HD. When using a bootable program you work on your HD without having windows in the way (often windows is very particular about formating HD).

http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

You can also try to find the manufacturer of your HD bootable program (SEATOOLS works with most HD but it is always better to use the manufacture program if available).

First test you HD to see if it is still working properly and if yes then format it.

Hope this helps.

carol.lopes

carol.lopes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, thanks for your help! But you cannot format an external hard drive with DOS. Anyway, it turns out my HD is still under warranty, so I'm going to have it replaced.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You are right, I did not think about it being external when I gave my advice, very sorry.

Hope you will have more luck with the new one.