Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

M.S.E Question

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I have noticed, whilst Microsoft Security Essentials performs scans, a VERY strange symbol that appears in several locations throughout the scan in the "scan in progress address window".

It is a symbol in negative (i.e. white font on a black background (I have attached 2 screen snippets, the second one a 500% enlargement, as example).

Can ANYONE explain such a weird symbol. I have never encountered it elsewhere and can find no information of it online.

[P.S. Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum section, I wasn't 100% sure.]

Odd symbol.JPG

500% Enlarged.JPG

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 22 July 2012 - 03:15 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hi, Wrinkly Pete,

My guess is that it's a character or particular set of characters in that file name that's causing it to show up that way - maybe it's appearing as a unicode character and isn't translated properly. Can you find that file path in question and see how it looks there?

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Sari,

Yes, thanks. I did a bit more research and it is a hidden file/folder.

I followed the path as far as I dared, but didn't want to click on anything much, it being hidden. I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

I suspect it is just part of some strange character set to some weird font, as I found something very similar.

Not as sinister as I first feared! :lol:

Many thanks.

Wrinkly Pete

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
:thumbsup: