Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast keeps giving windows.malware-gen and win32.downloader.PKU 9tj) a

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have a Hp DeskjetF4280 All-in-one. I'm still getting the error message about internet explorer has quit working, too. I had to get to where I could stay on long enough to see how many problems I still had. We aren't supposed to have any rain for a day or two. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours and then I'll be back on. I wasn't having the problem with the error message about the printer until I ran some program from one of the recommended places-geek-something-or-other.. It tested to see if I had any drivers outdated and came back with 11 BUT wanted me to pay to update them! Of course, I didn't. As for the Internet Explorer message, I tried disabling all the add-ons but I need some of them for a couple of the programs I've got running but there's very few-maybe 3 that are enabled. let me know what other information you might need or diagnostics I need to run and I'll get right on it as soon as I get back.

Edited by betsym, 24 August 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The download package for your HP Printer is here installation will stop that popup

What are the addons that you have retained for IE ? As that may give me an idea of where to look

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My daughter was in a car wreck Friday afternoon while we were gone soi I've been tied up with her but she wasn't driving or hurt very badly just bruised up. Now I hear that Georgia may get some of that bad hurricane weather that's hitting Florida! Geez....anyway, I am going to the hp website and downbload what you told me to and then I'll go and make a list of what add-ons I've still got going.

Edited by betsym, 26 August 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not a problem, I am glad your daughter is OK... Do this when you have time, no rush... I will still be here

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thanks. She's fine, just paranoid about riding with ANYBODY now.
I could've sworn that I had poasted the add-ons I have enabbled but don't see the post anywhere so I'll do it again. I have Shockwave Flash Object enabled, Java Plug-In SSV Helper, Java Plug-IN 2 SSV Helper, and under Microsoft Corporation I have: XML DOM Document, Tabular Data Control, Microsoft Shell UI Helper, Windows Mediaplayer, XLM HTTP 6.0, Scripting.Dictionary, XLM DOM Document 3.0, XlLM HTTP 3.0. Under Search Providers I have Yahoo, AVG Secure Search, and Bing. I went to the HP website and downloaded what you told me to but when I started the computer, that same set-up thing started happening all over again where it's trying to install something from HP but can't for some reason! I have to go to town a town 30 minutes away and pick up my medicine from the Fed-Ex plant this morning and then going to the movies in that same town with my daughter and her friend at 12:40 p.m. but I should be back on by at least 3:00 this afternoon. Also, if I keep disabling some of the things in the start-up menu, how come they are right back starting up again when I reboot my computer or get back on?

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
ok, I went to the HP site and tried to download the driver again and a window popped up with the message, "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package HP Photosmartessentials.msi in the box below." I've got the disc that came with the printer but I'll wait until you tell me what to do.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are you using autoruns to disable them ?

Reference the printer do a full uninstall from Control panel programs and features
Then from devices and printers within control panel
Right click the printer and select remove

Disconnect the printer from the computer and reboot

Then using the printer CD Install the printer, sonnecting the printer when requested by the programme

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
autoruns? I go to start and then at search type in msconfig, which brings up the start-up menu. I uncheck the ones that don't need to run at start-up. I will reinstall the printer and see what happens.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aye have a look at my post 24 where there is a little piccy of it and some details plus a download link

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
There is a LOT of stuff checked on there! Is there some way I can send you a screen-shot or something of my autoruns because there are far too many for me to write down and then type in. I don't want to uncheck something that might be needed to make the computer run right or for some needed programs to function properly. Also, on the Autorun window, I clicked on the Help tab and a message popped up saying that the Help file couldn't be opened.

Edited by betsym, 29 August 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes take a screenshot of the Autoruns Logon tab and I will have a look see :)

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Sorry, Essexboy, I don't know how to take a screenshot but I'll look it up and get it done. I'm keeping some crazy hours these daysthings are about to settle down now tha the hurricane threat seems to be over. I'm just now getting ready to lie down for a few hours but when I get up, right after lunch, I'll re-run Autorun. Thanks for being so patient.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you go Start > All Programs > Accessories
You will find the snipping tool which will take a screenshot for you

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My computer has been doing some wonky things! I made a couple of posts that somehow didn't make it on here and today when I went to my profile page and clicked on "my content", it showed that I had NONE. So......I went to your page and clicked on YOUR content and it showed that YOU didn't have ANY, either! Geez, Mediacom claims that's it's been all the bad weather that has had the internet and cable and all acting up. Anyway, I am now going to attempt to post that screenshot of the Autorun Logon.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd\StartupPrograms

I don't know if this is right or not but I'll try to email it, too.

Edited by betsym, 07 September 2012 - 08:24 AM.