Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast keeps giving windows.malware-gen and win32.downloader.PKU 9tj) a

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The site was down earlier today but now appears to be normal(ish) again

Were you able to use the snipping tool ?

Advertisements

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I tried and posted the link but I doubt it worked. If you can't open it, I'll have to email it to you if you give me your email. I haven't been to bed yet so I am going to lie down until 2:00p.m. I have 1800 emails I'm behind on reading because of all the issues we''ve been having so I'll be back on later this afternoon-GUARANTEED!

Edited by betsym, 07 September 2012 - 08:42 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You can attach the screenshot

At the bottom of the post there is the browse button, click that
A screen will open where you can navigate to the screens shot, select it
Then click Attach

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I emailed it to you and I think it went through. I got up at 2:00 p.m. but just couldn't stay awake so I went back to sleep. I keep different hours. I'm sure If I lived in Cornwall,l England, I'd NEVER sleep! I'm on now. Still getting the error message about IE has stopped working sometimes..I'm going to delete some of the 2000 unanswered emails I've got to sort through so that doesn't cause any problems...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not a problem, once you have emptied your mail box then try to resend it to me

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK untick everything in that section except Avast then reboot

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
It has taken DAYS to sort through all the emails from all the down-time, storms, etc...So I will now run the program again and untick everything but Avast. i also read somewhere that Google Chrome can cause some problems, especially if you've got LOTS of add-ons and extensions like I do, BUT I use IE as my default browser, and I have Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome that I use for cross-referencing and such. They aren't all active at the same time.

Ok, so when I'm about two-thirds of the way through unticking things, the program freezes up! I rebooted and tried again and it froze up again. i finally managed to untick most of the entries but there were a few things that could not be disabled. I'm sure that this will probably cause some kind of problem somewhere so how long do I need to leave these items unchecked?

Edited by betsym, 13 September 2012 - 09:04 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Long enough to do a few reboots and see if there is a diffference

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
i had to borrow my daughter's laptop to get online because I ran autoruns program like you said and unchecked everything but the antivirus stuff and next time I tried to get online, it had crashed my computer. All my drivers had been disabled or something because i couldn't even navigate across the screen. I ended up swapping mouses to see if another one would work and it did. BUT, I have NO internet connection. All I have showing uo on My Computer page is the "c" drive. There's NO local area network or anything. I've only had my computer a few months. I don't have $65 to have it wiped out and start over! When I swapped the mouse, I was able to run the autoruns program again and enable everything again but there was still no internet connection. I called Mediacom but they said the problem wasn't with them. They were showing that my modem had been online for the last 11 hours at that time but i don't see how. Every time I rebooted my computer after disabling everything, my monitor's resolution set itself at the lowest resolution, distorting everything.The Mediacom tech support guy had me unplugging and replugging some things to try and fix things and THEN, my monitor went out! then all I could get was some message telling me to check the cables. I'm going to use my daughter's computer to see if I can find out anything else about Google Chrome causing people's computer's to crash. Google Chrome usually tried to install the Babylon toolbar, if you don't catch it and opt out before installing the Google Chrome. I have NO idea what to do but I would hate to have to get my computer completely wiped and have to redo all my settings and whatnot. It's almost not worth doing...The funny thing is that it's only MY internet connection that got messed up. My daughter has a laptop and so we have a wireless router networking us together. Even though there's no trace of the network left on my computer, she can still connect with no problem! I'll check back as soon as possible to see when you are back on.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What is your make and model of computer ? As it should have a recovery partition

Also could you go to control panel and select network and sharing centre
Select Set up a new connection
Select Connect to the internet
Click next and follow the on screen directions

Advertisements

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
There is no make and model. It was custom-built. It's at least a dual-core or more. There's a system restore in the control panel but mine doesn't work. I've told the computer man this but his fix for everything is to just wipe it clean and reinstall everything.I'm not doing that unless i just have to. Right now, I can't use my monitor.I was able to try a different mouse and then recheck everything in autoruns but I couldn't get an internet connection so my daughter got down behind the computer and was moving stuff around and I think she got my monitor plugged in wrong. i've tried replugging all that and nothing has worked. I guess I'm going to have to spend $85 to get a computer tech to come to the apartment and fix it. I've never been so frustrated in my life! I really can't afford that or I would've taken my computer in for tech support instead of looking for it online. i hope i dont have to go a whole weekend not being able to work.

Edited by betsym, 21 September 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK using autoruns reset everything as before .. Is the monitor working now now

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Monitor is working fine. there's some little nit-picky things going on but I haven't been on much. If the internet explorer keeps coming up with that error message again, I'll let you know right away. I've got to delete a LOT of emails. There's something somewhere on my system that might be causing issues.

Edited by betsym, 27 September 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK once you are ready let me know and we will carry out some further investigations

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.