Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast keeps giving windows.malware-gen and win32.downloader.PKU 9tj) a

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I need help with Windows repair all-in-one. it didn't install right. I need to uninstall and redo it. Help!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK what problems are you getting with it ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK what problems are you getting with it ?

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
i finally got it but do i need to download all those tools with it-malwarebytes, avast free and all that > am going to email Mr. riley and go ahead and get that free license if you're going to be on here to help me with it. I know he said he could help too but I just want to be sure

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No we will do it one stage at a time.. Softly softly catchee monkey :)

Do windows all in one repair and then we will go to the next step

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
ok I did the windows-repair-all-in-one. should we work on the Avast now? I'll email Mr. Riley and get the licence.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK as soon as you get it let me know what version it is for either Pro or AIS then I can get the correct download for you

How is the computer behaving at the moment ?

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
He's taking his time getting back to me. What about Winpatrol? Shouldn't we get rid of that?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No you can keep that as long as you get the latest version, BillP has updated the programme for that problem

How is the computer behaving at the moment

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
it seems to be okay. yesterday, it didn't start messing up until I started deleting a lot of the 10,000 emaILS i was behind and then I started getting error messages. Mr. riley still hasn't gotten back to me yet. How long are going to be on the computer today? I've still got a few emails to delete and I'll do that and surf the web awhile and see how the computer does. I also have a lot icons on my desktop that I'm deleting aand also any programs I don't use anymore. I was told by those Avast techs that the program CCleaner might interfere with anti-virus programs and they also told me to get rid of SuperAnti-spyware and Malawarebytes for the same reason but my local computer guy, the one who built my computer, said that he always keeps those 2 programs on his and just uses them manually, on an as-needed basis, in addition to his anti-spyware and has never had a problem. I even had to get rid of my Trojan Remover program and I had paid for that! Oh, and that reminds me, I couldn't completely uninstall malwareebytes and trojan remover. I get some error message saying some files are missing and that I'd have to get a new copy before I could finish uninstalling the program. when I get the Avast with remote access installed again, you want to dig around in there and see where a lot of those loose ends are?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For sure, there are questions being raised now about the quality of the third party support. Avast have already binned one firm and it looks like the latest one is going to go the same way

As soon as you get the licence we will go ahead and install Avast

Both Superantispware and MBAM play nicely with Avast as does CCleaner

If you are unable to uninstall a programme properly then I would recommend that you download and install a fresh copy and then uninstall the one(s) you do not need

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Essexboy, I am real reluctant to put Avast back on my computer now that it is running ok. I've got to check my email and see if they ever sent me the license number anyway. I probably should just go with the Avira. My computer seems to be running okay as of now but I will know more about it tonight since I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'll let you knjow about the anti-virus thing and what I decide to do about that. It looks like we might finally wrap it up if all goes well. thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by betsym, 13 March 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, as long as you are happy :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.