Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can outlook work on 2 computers

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Greetings. I have OE6 on a desktop. I would like to put Outlook from Office 2010 on a laptop. Will both computers recieve emails to the same address? My desktop is my primary computer but I have to travel alot and use the laptop. I need emails to go to both. Thanks.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi tjmcs,

Sorry you had to wait a few days for a reply.

For the reason you mention above I use a web based mail so my emails are accessible no matter where I am or what computer I am using, though I did find a bit of information that might help you with how to receive emails in Outlook Express on two different computers.

This same topic was discussed here:

As posted by norvaisas;
To access your messages with multiple POP clients, use recent mode in every client to make sure that all messages are made available, rather than only to the first client to access new mail. Recent mode fetches the last 30 days of mail, regardless of whether it's been sent to another POP client already.

To enable Recent mode, replace '[email protected]' in the Username field of your POP client settings with 'recent:[email protected]' and ensure that the Leave messages on server option in your POP client is enabled.

and in the post below the one mentioned above:

bkennelly;
Recent mode is the answer for POP access. Another option is to use IMAP, which will synchronize the clients.

It seems you might be able to synchronize the 2 clients using IMAP. Not being familiar with either of the two, I would be more then happy to further my research to help in any way I can. Let me know.

Others who are more experienced with OE may have something to share as well, so please stay tuned.

Donna :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tjmcs...

As you probably know, Outlook Express (OE) has been discontinued. However, Microsoft Office may be installed on two machines...one desktop and one mobile device (laptop, tablet, etc).

Outlook 2010 will allow you to set up your synchronization so that your emails are downloaded from the server onto both machines and leave a copy of the messages on the server so you can access them through their web portal. With Outlook, you can easily monitor multiple email accounts from multiple servers.

I would recommend doing just that...install Office 2010 on both machines.

wannabe1

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thank you for the information. If i get Outlook 2010, I will install in both machines.

Thanks.

Joe