Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Debian Lenny (5.0): SSH Problem

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Good Morning Everyone!

I have had a Debian Lenny (5.0) server since 2008 ot 2009. She has always been working well, and I have her configured to connect to the internet and she has been doing so for a long time.

The strange part is that when trying to connect to my domain's IP address now, it will take 2+ minutes, and then when it says "Password" it will NOT take any passwords for any accounts. I am unable to get ssh to accept the passwords, even though they work if I use my internal address (192.xxx.xx.17): Which lwads me to believe that I either have a problem with SSH/the ssh server or something else, maybe I have been locked out somehow from the internet.

I have been reading up on this, and cannot seem to be able to fix this problem, and even then, lenny is End of Life, so upgrade tries have been attempted and failed.....Is there anything I can do to fix this? I KNOW all my passwords work, just not wne connecting to my outside IP.

If anyone needs any further information, please let me know, and I will provide it.

Brian

Advertisements

HaydenLowe

HaydenLowe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have looked around and tried to use the best of my knowledge to solve this problem, but it seems there may not be a fix for this. If you can still log in (I'm not sure if you could I didn't quite understand that bit), it may be best to back up files, wipe your hard drive (Partition?) and install a system like Ubuntu Server 11. I have had a great experience with this, no problems so far and seems to handle large loads very well. Hope this helped, very sorry if it didnt