Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Used computer, need help!

• Please log in to reply

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Not to cause confusion but I wanted to know if i should get rid of the usb wireless card because my computer doesn't have a wireless usb, only wired to the network

Edited by Ashmon, 01 August 2012 - 05:14 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can if it is of no use to you. Pack it away just in case.
By looking at the screenshot it looks like saved files is all that is there. Have you checked the programs themselves to change the default saved location?

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
How do I do that because there where already programs on the computer and the ones I've installed all save on C:. Also here's a screenshot of the wireless card folder I was talking about.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if you want to uninstall it we can do that but I just want to make sure you have no intentions on ever using the wireless in the future.
I imagine the wireless is part of the laptop or is it a actual connection with a little antenna on it?

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It was a folder on my desktop computer. I think the previous owner had one and its just the program. Hey I installed those 3 files you had me unzip by finding the setup application. I have sound now and play videos a little bit better but my internet is still not working when I turn off my computer, 2 "?/!"s and now on the first boot screen (right before it asks me which OS i want to use) i have 4 errors(might be 3 have to recheck).

Edited by Ashmon, 01 August 2012 - 05:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hey I installed those 3 files you had me unzip by finding the setup application. I have sound now and play videos a little bit better but my internet is still not working when I turn off my computer

I'm sorry I just woke up and not completely awake. I take it this file was for your sound correct?
What do you mean the internet still does not work when you turn off the computer? Are you saying when you turn the system back on the internet doesn't work? If so what happens?

now on the first boot screen (right before it asks me which OS i want to use) i have 4 errors(might be 3 have to recheck).

What are the errors exactly?

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
You know how a computer reconnects to the internet automatically? well its like the computer isn't recognizing a connection at all but after a few tries i finally get the computer to get on the internet. this is after ive set up the connection and ive turned the computer off and turned it back on. it is going to take a while to respond back because of things going on the trying to get connection to the internet after turning off my computer and starting it to see the errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this may be due to a faulty or failing network card or cable. It seems strange it happens everytime and rebooting several times seems to resolve it. I'm thinking more of the card at this point but just in case if you are hard wired in do you have another cable you could try?

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So now this is the current state of my computer (just the problems). The connection is now ok and im not losing connection to the internet on reboot (as of now)but i still have an error on the boot menu : Firmware detected that a CMOS battery failure occurred. also i have two ?/!'s left: "pci communications controller" and "sm bus controller". also for some reason disk d: (the one with not much storage) keeps running out of space and i have to run disk cleanup. im not saving anything on it at all. the last thing is that for some reason windows will not update.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Firmware detected that a CMOS battery failure occurred

May indicate a failing cmos battery on the motherboard. By chance is your date and time correct in the bios and in Windows?

pci communications controller

Most likely the modem that is in the computer.

sm bus controller

This is the motherboard chipset driver which allows the motherboard to identify and use the other chipsets on it. IE: Sound, Video, Modem, Nic, USB

also for some reason disk d: (the one with not much storage) keeps running out of space and i have to run disk cleanup.

That would indicate something is being saved to it which may be the user settings.

the last thing is that for some reason windows will not update.

As in what Microsoft Windows Updates? Is there a error message that shows and if so what does it say?

Advertisements

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
[Error number: 0x8024400A]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

Also i think the reason why the disk keeps on running out o0f space is because of all of the program files being saved on it automatically (i.e Firefox browsing history). how can i move them because it will not let me because it says im currently using the programs. also i don't know what you mean by computer bios but it has the correct time on it.

Edited by Ashmon, 05 August 2012 - 06:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to go into FireFox Tools at the top of window and then to options. See where it is saving downloads and make sure it is not saving to that disk. If so move it to the other drive. You can clean out your browsing history. The bios is a battery on your motherboard that looks like this below.

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yeah it on C; but when i open program files in d: it show fire fox but i have it installed on c: not d:! I really think it might be the browsing history but i have that set to automatically delete. I am completely confused on what is happening.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you go to the D drive and find the folder where FF is saving to?
Open it and then get a screenshot of the contents. Attach it to your next post. Better yet fo to My Computer, click on the D drive and when the Windows Explorer opens with the list of folders please take a screenshot of that. Nothing should be saving to the D drive at all since it is the recovery partition.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It appears to me that Windows has been installed on D Drive.

We will of course know shortly, but it is not shown on the previous image of C Drive.

From that image it appears that there are many items that could or possibly could be more closely examined in order to ensure more free space.

If Windows is installed on D drive, the computer must I think perform like watching grass grow.