Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Used computer, need help!

• Please log in to reply

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
it runs ok but its not fast. it has it's stupid moments. Doesn't play youtube videos well but i dont get on youtube much anyway

Attached Thumbnails

• eh.JPG
  • untitled.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now lets see what the boot.ini looks like because it does look like Windows is installed on the D drive.

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
sorry it took me a very long time to respond. the computer is still having the internet problem i described before. here is my boot:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so which one of these do you actually want to keep?

Ashmon

Ashmon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry i haven't responded in a while. everything is going crazy with this computer! its extremely slow at times, its not consistent with the problems, and it keeps running out of disk space so norton will not work properly! Also i don't know what you mean by which one do i want to keep.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are showing two OS's installed.

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition"

Xp Pro and a Xp Pro 64 bit version.
I'm sure due to this you are low on space so I was trying to find out which one you wanted to keep and then work on cleaning your system up from there.