Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Losing Performance?

• Please log in to reply

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have a problem with my internet suddenly going on and off, such as, occasionally receiving no internet access on Wireless Network Connections, latency and high ping when playing games online, and videos stop buffering. I am wondering if it is my modem that is doing this. I recently changed my router but I haven't messed with the modem. My modem is approximately 8 years old, and I cannot tell if it's my modem's problem or something else.

Edited by Xtreme930, 23 July 2012 - 02:03 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Xtreme930,

I would definitely replace the modem if it is 8 years old. I find it extremely rare for a modem to even last that long.

However before you go ahead with that, you may want to give your ISP a call and see if there are any known issues with your internet connection. That wouldn't explain the wireless issue but maybe the high ping and video buffer etc...

Cheers

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Wait, but then what would explain the wireless issue?

Edited by Xtreme930, 26 July 2012 - 01:57 AM.

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
And what about gateways? Are they more reliable than having a modem and a router (which, combined with both, costs more money)?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A gateway is defined as:

http://searchnetwork...inition/gateway

A gateway is a network point that acts as an entrance to another network

So considering the internet is an "interconnected network", your modem is a gateway that lets your computer gain access to another network (the world wide web).

I suggest to replace the modem. For simplicity, I recommend a modem that has network ports and wireless all-in-one. If you need more ports, add an unmanaged switch.

Xtreme930

Xtreme930

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Okay thanks.