Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying new install of XP pro on sata hd w adapter to IDE

• Please log in to reply

Jade1956

Jade1956

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can replace hardware, tell you almost anything you want to know about the wisdom of using an external hard drive, and I cannot understand software. I got a new sata HD from a geek friend. My computer is IDE, so I got an adapter and I have a very happy green light on my adapter. First step, install OS. Boot from CD, XP downloads or says it downloads drivers and such, and then asks if I want new install etc, and I say new install and it hangs up with the examining 131070 mb disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi gibberish It's been hanging there about an hour now. I have nothing else on this drive and my geek buddy reformatted it before he sent it but has no clue why this is hanging up like this. Ideas? Solutions? Any help would be madly appreciated.

Advertisements