Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Anyway to restore my data?

• Please log in to reply

ginrc

ginrc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, first off let me premise this by saying I am in over my head - but Dell wasn't much help so what can ya do :tazz:

Problem: PC giving Blue Screen @ start up - Stop 0000135 - user32.dll problem
Dell Solution: Hard drive fried - replace HD

My issue: I need what is on there. I know I can boot into it with CD-ROM. But it won't let me ren and copy over user32.dll. I have Windows XP Home.

My dumbass move: I installed another copy of XP so I could at least boot into windows. Should have installed on new partition, was a moron and thought hte thing was toast anyways so didn't bother. Did install it to a new directory though (C windows new)

So, I am in Windows, and I was hoping I could find the stuff I need on my HD drive but I don't. BUT, I know it is still there as I can tell there is 80 GB or so used ..

Is there any way I can tap into this, copy it and burn it or something??

I am good at following steps - but am no techie that is for sure.
Gin

Edited by ginrc, 04 June 2005 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
How many partitions were on the drive & where was the data you are missing saved to originally?

Also, did your data disappear before the new install of XP or after it?

ginrc

ginrc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
There is only one partition - the data was originally on the 1 partition under C:/Windows - Wasn't in the docs folder or anything like that but was on desktop.

When I did the new install, I installed it to a different directory C:/Windows/New .. So, when I boot, I can pick which Windows installation I wanna get into. The new one lets me go in, but I can't seem to find my data. The old one still gives me the user32.dll issue. When I am in the new installation, I see that there is 80 GB os used space on this drive - which is my missing data, just dunno how to get it lol

Nice mess eh?

How many partitions were on the drive & where was the data you are missing saved to originally?

Also, did your data disappear before the new install of XP or after it?

View Post

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, you could try this program - iRecovery :

http://www.download....page&tag=button

Its shareware so you are limited to recovering one folder per run, but theres very few free utilities around that actually work, so this one is probably your best bet.

If for any reason, it doesn't recognise your drive or partition correctly, then don't use it