Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron- White screen/fade out

• Please log in to reply

K_goffinet

K_goffinet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dell Inspiron 14R laptop

Displays blank white screen on power on, sometimes allowing the start up/safe mode configuration screen to come through for a few seconds before fading back out to white. Does not work with external monitor. No accompanying beeps or sounds, just the white screen. Sometimes a horizontal line shows up too.

Just attempted to reboot with main battery out and just plugged in to power source, this allowed me to start up system normally. Currently scanning for issues and going to do a system restore.

What is going on/ how can I fix? I have almost no computer knowledge whatsoever.

Thank you for your help!

<3 Kristin

Advertisements

r55741

r55741

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Since the problem occurs before windows loads that indicates it's most likely a hardware issue. You probably don't need to run a system restore to fix this problem.

Sounds like it could be a Motherboard / integrated graphics issue or RAM Issue. In order to figure this out first you would need to be able to get the white screen first second you would have to take out the ram stick(both if there is two). and see if anything changes.

The fact that it worked under AC power and not battery, could mean a number of different things.

Let us know how you would like to proceed.

flamingojean

flamingojean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Dell Inspiron 14R- it will suddenly just fade out after it has booted and I have been working awhile- I repeatedly close screen , reboot and try everything until the colors just pop in. It is so bothersome amd I want to know how to fix this issue!!