Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen, blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Valyndiir

Valyndiir

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is an old HP 4100 workstation with an old IDE 80gb hd that seems to work since I got XP installed on it without a problem.

Never had any problems but sat for about 6 years in its original box after being replaced with a newer model. I have use for this old box now but when I try to boot off a harddrive I get the "black screen blinking cursor" just after the screen with the boot and setup options, no beeps. I installed XP through the DVD drive, so I'm assuming it is okay. There is also a CD drive I installed that never had any problems, but I have yet to pull its plugs and see if it did actually go faulty. Ram should be okay, I've used 8 different sticks, but I suppose there is the possibility that they all went bad. Tried booting without ram, got the proper beeping, so I assume the board is fine. Tried fixboot and fixmbr even though it is a new installation. Could the partition on the drive be wonky? Maybe I should try lowering the partition to 40gb and see if that helps. I also installed a new battery on the board since I was getting a bad date and time error. Has an old graphics card that produces an image so I assume it is okay. I may try pulling the PCI ethernet board but I am feeling like the old P4 core is shot. I have done a lot of searching for answers and I am running into dead ends. Please help!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So you get the Black screen, blinking cursor on the first boot after completing the XP install?
Did you do a full format of the drive during the install or a quick format. If quick, try it again but do a full format.

Valyndiir

Valyndiir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did not reformat at all, I will do that tonight. Many thanks!!

Edited by Valyndiir, 24 July 2012 - 07:45 PM.

Valyndiir

Valyndiir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well that worked, but when I got windows up and running I rebooted. Then it went into an infinite loop of loading to the windows logo screen and failing to load the desktop. So I reformatted AGAIN and it said it could not properly copy mqutil.dll I believe it was so I changed from the DVD drive to the CD drive and reformatted and then it said it could not properly copy magnify.exe. What the... IS WINDOWS PROBLEM? GOOD GRIEF :P

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Three possibilities that I can think of.

1. CD is defective. Is this a purchased XP Install CD?
2. Defective hard drive. Run the manufacturers diagnostic for the drive and see what it finds:

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

3. Memory (RAM) problems. To test, reove 1/2 of it and see if the install will complete. If not, swap with the other half and try again.