Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive repair

• Please log in to reply

kanman

kanman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey guys,

I have a buddy who has a laptop hard drive that he has had his "computer guy" (Ive seen some of his work and hes pretty good), look at and also someone else they both said it isnt spinning. So more likely than not its a component failure. Was curious to know if there is a reasonable priced 300-400.00 place to get it fixed.

It is a seagate and they do have a repair service that says "no data, no charge" policy on their website ( https://services.seagate.com/ ) for their HD's so I was thinking that might be best. Ive recovered stuff before using some of the utilities with Kill Disk but if its not spinning I dont think I can help him.

Anyway...so if someone knows of a place to send it for repair that isnt out of sight then please let me know. If not I think Ill recommend he send it to seagate.

Thanks in advance for your time

Kanman

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi kanman

For the data recovery option yes trust Seagate but be prepared to face a hefty bill if they are successful.

Please note that a HDD cannot only suffer mechanical failure such as a bad spindle or platters they can also have electrical issues such as a bad PCB, these can be replaced and the MB could have a bad socket or HDD controller.

Was the HDD making and odd noises or functioning erratically before this issue.

Has the HDD been tried in another notebook or with an external USB HDD enclosure or adapter.

kanman

kanman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Hi kanman

For the data recovery option yes trust Seagate but be prepared to face a hefty bill if they are successful.

Please note that a HDD cannot only suffer mechanical failure such as a bad spindle or platters they can also have electrical issues such as a bad PCB, these can be replaced and the MB could have a bad socket or HDD controller.

Has the HDD been tried in another notebook or with an external USB HDD enclosure or adapter.

No not that I know of...

Yes this has been tried and drive did not spin...

Thanks,

Kanman

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Could be the PCB then as with mechanical failure there are normally warning signs such as the click of death, what model of Seagate is it please,