Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD2+-based hardware selection advice

• Please log in to reply

E-mouse

E-mouse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yet another stupid newbie dropping by to ask one or two questions before vanishing forever.

For a while now, I've been looking to put together a low-to-mid tier gaming PC to upgrade from my five-year-old laptop. My main goal is primarily to be able to run Team Fortress 2 at maximum settings for the next several years (and since the game is continually being updated with more and more complex graphical features, that isn't as static as it could be). A friend of mine recently put together a computer of his own with some help from the imageboard-based "Logical Increments PC Buying Guide", which I've been using as a basis to work with until now. But there's one complication: Said friend also purchased an AMD Phenom II X4 940 that wasn't used in his PC build due to the AMD2+ socket it used being incompatible with the motherboard he bought. Since abandoning it would be a waste, he sent it to me... and I've had trouble finding information about how to make use of it in the little time I spent researching since; AMD2+ motherboards seem to be relatively difficult to get at this point. And even if they are, I'm not sure whether it would be worthwhile; I do want to be low-budget about this, but if an AMD2+ motherboard would become incompatible quickly, then it might not be worth the free CPU and maybe-clearance motherboard/RAM/etc.

So, the short version: I have an AMD2+-socket CPU, and I want to know whether it's worth using for building a low-mid gaming PC, and what sort of motherboard would be needed if I do use it... and where to get it.

Hopefully I'll think to stop back in on this topic soon.

Advertisements