Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install XP on SATA

• Please log in to reply

Kody_Scott

Kody_Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Stuart813,

Windows won't actually copy over the files! It just reboots when copying. It does a different percentage everytime. It then reboots and goes back to square one.

Samm,

I have managed to update the BIOS using a download from ASROCK.com to include more SATA options. This shows that I have a 160GB SATA Hard Drive.

Thanks,

KoDy.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you also tell me Kody, the exact name & version of the seagate utility you have been using please?
Also, the sata controller driver that you load by pressing F6 during XP install - where did the driver come from & if it offers you a choice of several sata/raid controllers, which one are you selecting?

Kody_Scott

Kody_Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The Seagate Utility is DiscWizard Starter Edition. No version number mentioned.

The drivers came from a floppy I created from the CD supplied with the Motherboard. I have even downloaded the drivers from the asrock.com website as well. They give me 4 options Via RAID Controller XP, Via RAID Controller NT, Via RAID Controller 2000 etc...

Would I benifit from anything on this page - http://www.seagate.c...upport/seatools

Any help would be much appreciated.

KoDy.

Edited by Kody_Scott, 28 June 2005 - 10:24 AM.

amul_capri

amul_capri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
1)Make sure you have DiskWizard 2003.Download latest Seatools.Create DM and Seatools bootable floppy. Boot through DM floppy and instead of autocreating partition, create a manual 4-5 gb NTFS partition and leave the rest unallocated (for now), or you can create them according to your needs.
2)Try to get a XP installation cd with SP2 slipstreamed in it. If you can't, get it done with Nlite since you have the SP2 exe. Atleast, get another XP setup cd just to be sure its not your CD thats corrupt.
3)Make sure you don't have loose connection on the Sata drive. They all are and you need to make sure its really tight and the cable does not have sharp loops or other bits of hardware cable touching it.
4)Install XP.
5)If you still face hangups (do you get S.M.A.R.T disk error on bootup?), then run Seatools test on the drive.Check for errors.

***This should be your last option, if nothing else works!******
Using the DM floppy, zero fill the whole drive(preferably if its still under warranty). This will clear any hidden partition errors. You might want to leave that overnite. Once thats done recreate the partitions and install. If the zero fill gets stuck somewhere then you have a defective Sata drive. Get it replaced.

Edited by amul_capri, 29 June 2005 - 05:55 PM.

Kody_Scott

Kody_Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I followed all of the instructions to no avail!

I run a test on the HD and it gave a green light then a red light for the NTFS file system.

I have no even purchased an IDE HD and it has the SAME problems! Could this be a motherboard issue? I have no idea where to look. I have tried everything with this computer. Replaced Memory, cables, power supply, hard drive and STILLL it doesn't work.

I would be grateful for ANY guidance!

Thanks,

KoDy.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like motherboard problems, you should contact techsupport from the mobo manufacturer so that you can get it fixed by them or begin the RMA process.