Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus Removed Completely? PC still acting strange... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Download Auslogics Defrag from here. But do not download the BoostSpeed. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

• It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
  • It will actually show you what it is doing
  • At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
  • You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Advertisements

pctroubler

pctroubler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
CompCav,

I ran the Auslogics Disk Defrag. Here is the summary:

Disk Size 69.63 GB
Free Space Size 15.68 GB
Clusters 18251848
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation 8/3/2012 10:20:51 AM
Completed defragmentation 8/3/2012 2:27:06 PM
Elapsed time 04:06:14
Total Files 103500
Total Directories 11236
Fragmented Files 8031
Defragmented Files 8027
Skipped Files 4
Fragmentation Before 55.65% ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Fragmentation After 30.30% ||||||||||||||||

It also found 356 junk files, 8 registry errors, and 0 security problems.

What's next?

Thank you.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Clear the Java Cache by following the instructions here

Step 2.

Update Java

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder

Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
Accept any prompts.
Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Step 3.

Update Adobe Reader

Recently there have been vulnerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version.

Uninstall all previous versions.
Download the latest version from: http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

Step 4.

Update adobe flash player

We need to uninstall the existing flash player(s). Please go here
Follow steps 1. to 4.
Once flash player is uninstalled go on to the next paragraph.

You will need to download and install both the IE and non-IE versions of Adobe Flashplayer. Make sure to uncheck the install of the McAfee tool before downloading. You will need to select your operating system (Windows XP 32-bit) and then each version to download and install separately.

Step 5.

Then uninstall FireFox it is woefully out of date. If you want to have FireFox please download a fresh copy of the latest version and install it.

Then let me know if you have any remaining issues with your computer.

pctroubler

pctroubler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Comp Cav,

Step 2.

Update Java

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder

Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
Accept any prompts.
Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly which file is compatible or which file I should download...

Please help.

Thanks.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Pick the one for windows XP 32-Bit

it will have i586 in the name.

pctroubler

pctroubler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
CompCav,

I believe I updated all of the programs based on your instructions. I am no longer gettting redirected using Google Chrome. I have not tried using System Restore to see if that's working, particularly since we just updated some of the software.

I'm still somewhat concerned with the (2) infected files that ESET online found, but I'm leaving the next steps to you.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I'm still somewhat concerned with the (2) infected files that ESET online found

They were quarantined so we will delete during cleanup!

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Your logs now appears clean :thumbsup:

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave:

pctroubler

pctroubler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
CompCav,

I've finished with your final instructions. I will continue to monitor the system's health.

I cannot say certainly how I was infected, but I believe it is from an external HD that caused this. It may trigger when the HD Autoruns or perhaps another method. Can you provide any advice how to remove this without re-infecting my computer?

Thanks again for your help.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Can you provide any advice how to remove this without re-infecting my computer?

Hold down the Shift key when you attach the external drive until it is recognized and settles.

Open MalwareBytes' and update it to the latest definitions, then click full scan and make sure the external drive is checked, you can uncheck other drives.

Then run your antivirus in full scan mode and make sure it does all drives.

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements