Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GateWay M685E 4g ram

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I have a couple questions this time around,
1. I have 2 GateWay M685E laptops,one is running windows 7 ultimate, the other is XP Pro, I recently installed 4g of ram on each of these laptops. The one with windows 7 ultimate shows, 4g ram, but only 3g usable, the one with XP Pro shows only 3g ram.
In the bios of both machines, it shows 4g...Why do the window OS only accept 3 of the 4g? the max for these machines is 4g, so i know im in the safe zone, Also, my wifes compaq cq60 215dx is running win 7 with 4g ram, it also shows only 3g usable. Is this just the way windows reads the ram an actually uses all 4g? Im not understanding this.

2. On the GateWays, it has 128 dedicated ram, it shows in blue writing in the bios as most things do that can be changed,however, I cant get the tap or down arrow to go down to change it. Im presuming that its fixed and cant be changed, but sure would be nice if i could doulbe or tripple it in the bios or somehow.
Thanks for listening and the the information in advance, ya'll definately keep my mind in tact :thumbsup:
Rascle

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Are you running the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?

For the 32-bit version, it is a limit of the address space with 32-bits.

For the 64-bit version, it seems that there are also issues with the motherboards which can prevent it from accessing more memory, but the article below mentions some things which you can try, but be careful.

You might want to read:

http://answers.micro...1c-c08bb04e26fc

Also:

http://answers.micro...c8-ccbd537539ec

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
All 3 machines are 32bit, but from what you have given me, im understanding how the OS reads, i thank you for your time and knowledge :)
Rascle