Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio playback error PowerPoint 2010

• Please log in to reply

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
When inserting audio file (wav or mp3) in PowerPoint 2010 with the pptx extension
Audio file will not play just says payback error in the slider
After googling at the weekend I found out this is a known error Microsoft have known
for a long time, no fix in sp1 or since.

The best solution I found is to save the file as a PowerPoint 97-2003 ppt extension reopen insert audio files
Save the file then open again then save as a 2010 pptx file extension close then reopen the file it will then ask to upgrade media object if not right click audio file choose upgrade media object then you can use the audio tools tab.

If anyone knows of a better way please let me know

Things I’ve tired

Have used Cdex to change the mp3 file header
Not a codec problem
Have tried different computers with office (2010 same thing)
Also tried insert object create from file this works but opens windows media player no good for a presentation
Office pro is up to date as is windows 64 bit

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Update the story so far

PowerPoint 2010 supports compatible audio and video file formats

http://office.micros...A010336709.aspx

after trying different mp3 files I found some worked and some did not (see picture) the left one is right the black one is the wrong player.

I converted the mp3’s to wma files with a free converter and the files worked, so I got to thinking about this might be an encoding problem. I know a little about containers and wrappers and found this free program

http://www.softpedia...ted/SUPER.shtml

It gives you more options than just a straight convert to wma files. So if your mp3’s don’t work in PowerPoint 2010 convert to .wma files or .aac works as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg