Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quitting the Internet After Many Years

• Please log in to reply

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

I remember when I first heard of the net, I swore I'd never use it, but as it grew, so did my curiousity, so I got it. Computers were fascinating and scary at the same time. I knew they had great potential for good, and for harm.<br /><br />Since 1995 sometime in the fall, I surfed the net, made a few friends, and moved to another state many years later, because of someone I met online. It didn't work out well and the person I was supposed to help caused me deep trauma, but some good things did happen, and for that, I am thankful. Listening to various programs, chatting with people from all over the world; doing things I never dreamed possible. The net had become a part of me. I learned many things from the internet.

One of the greatest features of the net is sites like this. The availability of products and services that always within access, has changed the world as we know it. Unfortunately, what's also changed is the level of maliciousness. I've been hacked before, and swore I'd never get oline again. Well, I went against my better judgment again and got back on, thinking I'd be ok if I had better security programs.. I was always careful where I went, what I opened, etc.. FALSE HOPE AGAIN. But there were so many advantages! It was too enticing. Most times, life online was managable, but as the years went by, the power of the nasty programmers got more intense and dangerous. Now, even if someone isn't online, their lives can still be disrupted because their records are stored, guess where?

To save on resources and make life more efficient, everything is being put online. Easy access and less physical paper have replaced the privacy of citizens and their personal information. Then there's the data miners and their selling of information, regardless how sensitive it may be. Added to that the struggle for privacy, free speech, the righ tto parody, the rights of fair use, and the threat of infringement, the threat of prying eyes and unauthorized use, as well as legitimate companies being allowed to track us wherever we go- it's all too much.

People say life is a compromise, but that's only because they have accepted it as such, without question, so they give up some rights for a false sense of security. Well I have had it with all of that...<br /><br /> /&gt;For disabled people who can't get out much, the internet has been a liberating tool- their computer has become like a car, taking them anywhere they want to go, without leaving their homes. But with this awesome freedom has come a LOT of aggravation, just trying to stay ahead of the bad users and their foolish games. Sometimes I think isolation is the better of the two choices, and I should know.<br /><br />Isolation is a horrible way to live; sadly I know it well, but I can no longer deal with the stress of worryng about being able to stay secure enough so I can enjoy the wonderful things the net has to offer. With lack of patience and problems processing information, I am unable to handle the technical challenges I keep running into.

The net has been a blessing and a curse. Well now it's time to retreat back to my little corner of the world.

I don't expect any replies to this, especially since I've asked for help with my browser and gotten NOTHING, since april, so I reposted, but still no response. OK I give up. :(

A few people have been very kind to me. I must say though that while at GeekU, one of my teachers was not very patient, told me I did wrong but did NOT tell me how to fix it. THAT is why I dropped out.

So in 5 months, maybe less, I will be leaving every group I'm in, shutting down all my accounts, and retiring from the net for good..  There are some things I will miss dearly, but that's how it goes for me. The stress is just unbearable.

For those of you who are able to deal with the stress, worry, and hassles of this cyberlife, good for you. :thumbsup:

I hope you also have a real life, a family, decent health, friends, and people who love you. Please take care of your health and try not to get too dependent on ANYONE.

Edited by blueblue, 25 July 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,574 posts
Going online opens a world of possibilities. So does walking out your front door. You should enter both prepared alert. The difference is you can chose not to go online and enjoy a normal and fulfilled life. You can't say the same about never leaving your home.

While it seems almost unthinkable in this age of broadband, wifi, smart phones, and always connected lifestyle, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trend where people who've been online simply chose to longer be online.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
When I'm not online, I pull the plug so it's not always on. Whatever happened, I don't know. As for the other comment, I get that all the time. Ya know, I did my best to be careful and well prepared, though I knew the risks, I didn't just come online blindly. After awhile, stress just gets to be too much. I don't have a normal life, the net is my car, but that's how it goes. Maybe I'll be back, but I need a break, can find other things to do.

tylerbillman

tylerbillman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I too want to quit the Internet, but the pros of it seem to outweigh the cons... The connectivity to other people and to services and information versus none at all... That is what keeps me online.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
That's why I stay, too, but sometimes I just need a break. I'll probably just cut way back on my time with it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
blueblue I find just walking away for a hour or two everyday helps a lot. Honestly I have been doing that a lot lately. I am glad you are still around :thumbsup:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,187 posts
Everything in moderation, think before you react, be grateful for what you have and the choices you have too.

Joe :)

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I know.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Don't give up, blueblue. If you're able to post in forums, then you have what it takes to be a geek.

You can take a break from posting in forums for now but stay on the Internet anyway. Just do some online research and studying on computers and specifically on how Windows runs and works. Start with the basics, understand them well, and work your way from there slowly and gradually. Don't move to the next step without mastering the ones before it.

If you do this, then with time, you'll become as good as almost any tech teacher you rely on. :P

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. For awhile I'm spending less time online, this tech stuff is too frustrating and I have lost all patience with it so I'll leave it to those who have more patience and better understanding of it. Congratulations to all of you who make it through GeekU. I suppose being a geek is kinda like being a lawyer, we hope we never need one, but we're glad you're there. :D :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is a great discussion. If I honestly had the choice (and one day I really hope I do), I would like to move out into the country, have a decent size block of land for the kids (by then, who knows, maybe grandkids), no phone, no internet, no problems.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Troy, Lucky you to have family. The net is so frustrating. I really wanna quit, but for now I'm still here. When I started this thread I was very angry, and still get very frustrated with it. Security and privacy are my main issues, and often, the technology is just too much for me to handle. Our world is too dependent on computers, and too many people have no real life. Mine ain't so great, so for now, the net is still part of it.

I hope you get to have that land and have your family near you for many years to come. If things were different, I'd be planning for something like that, too. No phone, no internet, no TV, no techno problems. Once I did quit the net, that lasted about 4 months.

It's too intrusive, too deeply integrated into our lives, and the problem is, even if someone doesn't have Internet, they're still connected with it, because companies they deal with are using it. Too much personal information is stored online, for convenience, but it's not very secure, I don't care what they say. I've known people who got calls about compromised accounts, though they're not online, so apparently the company IS- seems there's no escaping it. No choice; not fair.

OGdexter

OGdexter

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
good discussion topic. balance and priority.
I played MMPORGs until I realized that I was investing some of my real world sense of net worth in them.I crashed an empire built over a year in moments and the only people who noticed were pseudo personalities I had never met in the flesh.
I watch people ignore the world around them, ignoring people they might be much closer to if they didn't whip out a Droid at lunchtime every day. I wonder how many potential significant others have been overlooked like this?

real life beckons, real people need you.
The Net is like Electronic Costco, If you go in without any self discipline you could emerge in bankruptcy

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,574 posts

The Net is like Electronic Costco, If you go in without any self discipline you could emerge in bankruptcy

Awesome quote.

geekerbeeker

geekerbeeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
we need to keep an eye on the suns solar mass ejection that can over load power lines / satellites-tesla invented wireless electricity no doubt the military have this but us lot will be buggered without tinterweb if / when [nasa covering its [bleep] / funding with an issued warning] life without the interweb apparently will be anarchy after 8meals or so