Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows keep freezing and/or disappearing

• Please log in to reply

tamikascott

tamikascott

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am writing because I have a problem with my windows explorer either freezing up and I have to do a hard restart now my windows and sometimes taskbar is disappearing after I try to open up windows explorer and click on a folder. I think the problem started with I had McAfee on my laptop and I did a registry clean and from there its been acting up. It will let me install updates through windows updates but for the last 2 days there are 2 updates that won't load it is saying code 80070490 and I have went to Microsoft to download the Fix it and it stops at the Powershell and closes. I did a clean reinstall and it got really bad that the computer would freeze for over an hour if I let it sit that long. I did the recovery and check the hard disk I am tired and just want to throw it or get another one which I cant afford right now. Please help if you can.

OAN: I forgot to add before I did reinstall I tried using my recovery disk I made and they wouldn't work and I did a backup on my external hard drive and it would not take. I can't use ctrl-alt-del it will just freeze or not respond. I am using an Acer Aspire 6930 with Windows Vista Home Premium with sp 1.

Edited by tamikascott, 25 July 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Advertisements

dandy0850

dandy0850

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi, I am writing because I have a problem with my windows explorer either freezing up and I have to do a hard restart now my windows and sometimes taskbar is disappearing after I try to open up windows explorer and click on a folder. I think the problem started with I had McAfee on my laptop and I did a registry clean and from there its been acting up. It will let me install updates through windows updates but for the last 2 days there are 2 updates that won't load it is saying code 80070490 and I have went to Microsoft to download the Fix it and it stops at the Powershell and closes. I did a clean reinstall and it got really bad that the computer would freeze for over an hour if I let it sit that long. I did the recovery and check the hard disk I am tired and just want to throw it or get another one which I cant afford right now. Please help if you can.

OAN: I forgot to add before I did reinstall I tried using my recovery disk I made and they wouldn't work and I did a backup on my external hard drive and it would not take. I can't use ctrl-alt-del it will just freeze or not respond. I am using an Acer Aspire 6930 with Windows Vista Home Premium with sp 1.

I would start by confirming the hard drive is ok using a live disk like 'Hirens Boot', your symptoms point to a hard drive issue. Plus if you run HBCD you could get mini XP and if all is working ok in the HBCD-mini XP environment then it is most likely the HD

tamikascott

tamikascott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I will try it and see if it works.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi dandy0850 and tamikascott ... :wave: ..:welcome:

dandy0850 ...there's no need to quote a post...it only slows us down...a line or two is ok if you want to address that part only...