Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security for Cell Phone with Internet?

• Please log in to reply

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Having a cell phone that goes online can be fun, but I worry that a hacker can get my phone numbers. If I had no phone numbers on there, I assume that'd help, but what about the phone's memory? I know it keeps a record of calls, but if I delete that too, is there still something stored somewhere or is it really erassed?

I don't like having a phone that can get online, but occasionally I would like to use the net feature. As far as I know, there's no security programs for the phone but I could be wrong, though I have to do some research into it. It would be fun to be able to check weather while I'm on the road.

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Sorry no one's responded to this. It's very important to me.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Please be aware not a lot of assistance I can provide at present:-

Mobile malware removal is in it's infancy. Until tools become available, this forum will mostly discuss threats, protection, bad apps, and experiences.

However saying that, these here and here may prove to be of use from a Security point of view.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Hi blueblue!

Actually, there are quite a few different options for mobile security. With the popularity of the smart phones, these programs are becoming more and more popular. Lookout was one of the first (that I'm aware of), but you can now find a mobile product by most, if not all, of the major anti-virus companies. Kaspersky, McAfee, Symantec, Trend-Micro, the list goes on. They will all offer real-time protection, as well as offering the capability to disable your phone in the event that it is lost or stolen. I'm not positive, but I also believe that most of these programs also allow you to track your phone if it is missing.

Hope this helps!

Elster

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi Elster, thanks for the info, I'll look into it. :) :thumbsup:

Aristazi

Aristazi

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
I use Lookout. I haven't had to see if it works yet, they do have a feature that if your battery gets close to dead it will turn on your GPS and record your phones location and email you about it - that's pretty nice. (And optional if you don't want to use that feature) I haven't lost my phone yet but I have let the battery die so I've seen it work. I think Lookout is free, or at least it was for me using Sprint. Maybe other mobile providers have free phone security options as well.

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
I have Zoner on mine and it does what I want plus it is very light on space and ram sadly they are lacking the mobile web function right now. However, if you use dolphin and its security add-ons you'll be okay the browser also comes with a battery saver add-on as well so a extra bonus.

williambjacobs

williambjacobs

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Try using a secure VPN to protect your privacy. You can find one at http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

TiffanyHwang

TiffanyHwang

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Try using AVG AntiVirus. I'm currently using that app in my phone. :happy:

GSpeedcomputer

GSpeedcomputer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah!its really impoetant to have an anti virus. .for the safe of are cellphones..