Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Limited or no connectivity"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

trlaing

trlaing

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I just installed a new PC with clean install of WinXP Pro with SP2, nothing else installed (AV, firewall etc)

I have a network for 3 Win98SE PC's and one Win2000 machine, all connected through a 5 port hub/switch using CAT5 cable. All the Win98/2000 PC's "talk" fine.

When I plugged the WinXP PC into the CAT5 cable (which works okay as an old laptop running Win98SE was previously using it and worked fine) it tries to assign an IP address for a few minutes, then I get the message that lots of other people seem to get after installing SP2 upgrade:
"Limited or no connectivity................"

None of the other PC's can "see" the WinXP machine either. I have the windows firewall disabled on the network connection. I have tried the Microsoft patch (KB884020), the reg hack:
-------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSec]
"AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"=dword:00000002
-------------
I have also tried running WinsockXPFix.exe.

I've uninstalled the network device (onboard) and removed and replaced "network services" from Windows Setup.

The only thing that almost worked(!) was that for some reason one of the Win98SE PC's had as IP address manually configured as 90.0.0.5 and Sub as 255.255.0.0 and gateway as 90.0.0.1, so I set the new WinXP PC to IP address 90.0.0.6 and the same other settings and it said it was connected but could not see or be seen on the network. So I put all PC's back to obtain IP automatically and got the same problem with the WinXP PC only.

All PC's have the network card set to use NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols.

Any ideas? I've searched the net for hours and tried all solutions provided with no success. Next step will be to wipe the drive and start again clean and try again!

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello trlaing,

Please do not wipe drive yet, I am confident we can get this resolved.

I have a network for 3 Win98SE PC's and one Win2000 machine, all connected through a 5 port hub/switch using CAT5 cable. All the Win98/2000 PC's "talk" fine.

For starters, if you are using a hub/switch, these NORMALLY DO NOT have a DHCP server capability. This would explain the reason that XP could not "Acquire a Network Address. The standards have set aside a few ranges of addresses to use internally that cannot be routed out to the internet. What I can't figure out, is why the address was set to 90.0.0.5. That is a public routable address, not a good one to use in a private internal network. One thing that will be important to know, is do you have an internet connection? If so, what type? How are you distributing it to the other machines? What are the first two octets/sections of the IP addresses that the machines have listed. Please list first two for ALL machines.

Either way, we need to make sure that if these machines are going online, that NONE of them are using a 90.0.0.? address. If they are not receiving DHCP service, then they should all be using a 169.254.?.? address. You will want to make sure that if that is the case, the XP machine isn't assigning itself one that is already being used by the Win98SE machines. Also, make sure that you are using the correct type of cable to connect the XP machine. It should be a standard patch cable (exact same on both ends). Please respond to the questions in bold.

Greazy Mcgeezy

trlaing

trlaing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Greasy
Thanks for the quick reply. I have an internet connection on the Win2000 PC, but it is not shared. The connection is AOL broadband. The 1st two octets of all IP addresses are now as you suggested 169.254.x.x. The reason for the 90.0.0.5 was due to an attempt to share an internet connection a while ago - this has now been rectified with all machine automatically assigning different IP addresses. Now, the WinXP PC can see all PC's on the network in "My Network Places" but cannot access any of them, error message:

\\Name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found.

All of the other PC's can successfully ping the WinXP PC, but the WinXP fails to ping them. The WinXP PC is not visible in My Network Places/Network Neighbourhood on any other machine (this I don't mind, I only need the XP machine to access one 98SE PC.

The cable is the same on both ends. Both have the same colour wires in the same places.

trlaing

trlaing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again. I'm a silly boy! I didn't know that all the Win98 machines had firewalls on them! As they weren't connected to the internet I didn't think it would be necessary. So, after allowing each IP address access it all works just fine! It's funny how only the XP machine was blocked by the firewall though.

Sorry for wasting time and thanks for the suggestions. Quite often it's the simplest of solutions.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If you should need this topic opened again them just pm me. Glad you got it all sorted out ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: